what to do on a cold rainy day?

Ole

For the last few months we have been plagued with bugs and illnesses and we have not ventured at all out of the local area, however this weekend it looks like we may be germ- and fever-free (fingers crossed) and I am thinking I'd quite like to venture out of of the Dulwich-Camberwell-Herne Hill triangle. But it is going to be wet and cold. Any ideas for places/what to do in or out of London (short day trip)? Ideally I'd avoid museums because from experience on wet and cold weekends they are heaving. Any ideas will be gratefully considered! Also, I am recovering from flu and still get fatigued very easily so a bracing nature walk is out of the questions for the moment (my preferred option for when I desperately need to get out of the area but not suitable for me at the moment, although a gentle stroll somewhere would be lovely). I should probably add that we have a 3 year old so activities need to be suitable for him too. Thank you!

Sympathies, I had the flu over NY and am still recovering. My advice is to not go too far as the post flu fatigue is awful, esp with parenting duties on top of that. Can't you take your 3 year old to the cinema? Maybe Greenwich to get out of the triangle? I'm pretty sure they have a Sat morning kids club. Then go to the Cutty Sark (my 3 yr old nephew loved his visit there recently). Not much help, sorry!

We recently discovered a soft play cafe in Balham called Bertie and Boo. 3-yr old boy loved it - has a pirate ship. I heard it can be very busy but first thing in the morning is quiet.

You could then have lunch somewhere in Balham?

Also, how about Docklands Museum? Has a lovely soft play area too. I know you said no museums but we were there last Sunday (rainy) and it wasn't too busy at all.