Judith Kerr Primary School formal consultation

The formal consultation phase 1 has been launched for the proposed Judith Kerr Primary School.

http://www.jkps.org.uk/consultation-phase-i/

I would encourage East Dulwich residents to comment. They're effectively asking whether we want one in SE22, admissions codes - I've prefer point E to be dropped and point D be 100%.

Please do respond to the online consultation.

Exactly - but it seems like James has been supporting this new school all along anyway.

He prefers Point E (Rotherhithe) to be dropped but Point D (ED) be 100%

Do the people of Rotherhithe know anything about this new school that is meant to be opening soon?

Looks like they've already appointed a new headteacher two days before Christmas. She is taking up her post this April so it looks like the school is up and running anyway whether we like it or not.

Hi Minder,

I meant points D & E in the admissions code.

But I also hope that the school will be established in ED. In our wider area we need an extra 235 primary school places by 2016. This school owuld provide 50 of them.

Yes, sufficient families (89) have given their support to this school so the government agency has given the go ahead.

I support this school and I thank James for his support of the school (which he has posted about on several occasions). Those interested should attend the pubic meeting:

Saturday 2 February, from 10.00 ? 11.00am at St Faith?s Community Centre, Red Post Hill, London SE24 9JQ

I am one of the 89 families that have supported this school, and based on both locations would not fall into what would ultimately become a very small catchment area if it indeed becomes a good school. I am sure most of the parents that supported the initial application would not as, publicly at least, no site was known when the proposal was made. The people behind Judith Kerr sought support from parents right across Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Boroughs.

James I really do understand your desire to have more local primary school places available, but you should be encouraging even more new initiatives, rather than suggesting Judith Kerr offer 100% of places based on distance. What you would end up with is a school that is set up to be bilingual that has very few if any students starting in reception with the minority language, or a German enclave as parents with German heritage try and move into a small catchment area. I think it would be a lesser school than it aims to be if there are no native German speaking students.

I would not have supported the JK prposal if it had been based 100% on distance from the hospital site, as it would not have been a relevant community school to me.(BTW, not a German speaking or even bilingual family here, I just really believe in the benefits of languages. Also, both proposed locations equally inconvenient for my family and may not accept a place if offered, but still support JK as hopefully, like WIX in Clapham, they will go on to be a model bilingual school for others to follow).

Having not known anything about this school before I haven't been to any info sessions, all I'm going on is the info on the site. Sounds good, not sure I would be in the 'catchment' but how would I know as I can't find where they might be? The consultation suggests four possible areas, you all talk about two? Again, am I missing something obvious? Would ideally have liked to know more before school app deadline, but as thats next week is it suggested we just apply on the of chance the school ends up in our area? Much as I like the idea of the school I don't think I'd like my child to travel too far to Primary School.

ED needs primary schools/places full stop, and the council ain't exactly falling over themselves to provide or plan for them, so the gap is being filled by free schools. In this case it's a bilingual free school. James Barber is also encouraging Harris to open another, general, school. We need both, or a whole lot of bulging.

My house is bilingual so I would welcome a bilingual primary school in the area. Many other parents have similarly noted their support, whether their house is bilingual or not. This support is reactive i.e. JKPS approached ED, rather than anyone in ED approaching JKPS having idenitifed a 'need' to have a bilingual school. So it's not really 'why a German school?', rather it's a question of do we want a bilingual school in the area? I do, some may not.

I'd encourage you to attend the open meeting if you have any questions or concerns.

The point about these schools is that only enough people to fill them need to want it (by formally registering their interest) for them to start the process of establishing themselves. This level of support already benefits the wider community as the families who send their children there won't be apply for the existing primary schools. This frees up places in the existing community schools that would otherwise be oversubscribed and need to bulge.

There have been multiple postings about this school both in the General Ed section and the family room for many months so this is really nothing new.

Bizarrely, in general LAs can no longer set up new schools but must invite proposals for free schools/academies

http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/advice/f00209212/establishing-new-school

The govts political desire for the maximum no of free schools leads to the odd situation where proposals are pretty much submitted on the back of a 'petition' rather than coherent planning - thee is no guarantee that any of the parents indicating an interest will be eligible to attend the school later, especially where the site could end up in one of several areas of the city.

Interesting, thanks.

You're right that supporting families (including mine) may miss out on a place if the school locates out of ED (or even in ED but too far from home). In JKPS's case, they sought support for a number of locations and ran a poll of supporting families as to their preferred location, so they have mitigated this as far as possible.

The new rules effectively preventing LAs setting up schools is entirely daft. The idea that you have to get parental support before securing a site (even if you have identified a potential site) is an unfortunate bi-product of the process. No one would realistically secure the site first. I'm not sure, but I believe Judith Kerr has gotten parental support for both the areas they are potentially looking to open in so whichever sight is chosen, it won't result in unwanted / empty places but I'm not sure where to find the exact statistics on this.

Cross-posted with Chillaxed who I agree with

Hi Fuschia,

The rules barring local councils from creating schools is generally bizaarre.

This daftness started under Tony Blair's premiership many years ago - it is nothing new - but unfortunately has continued under Michael Gove. Tony Blair wanted new academies to be created, Michael Gove free acadamies - practically very nearly the same thing. The main difference is how Michael Gove has made the Dept of Education deliver his policies.

One ray of sunshine is the Localism Bill where a local council in theory could apply for the right to open new schools. The government would probably apply the filter to this of whether a local council was getting good results in its schools.

Hi Fushia, you are right. Exactly what you say did happen with Southwark Free School. Parents living near Borough station signed their petition. Southwark Free School got the funding, they then set up a school in Rotherhithe, it's currently being run in a Tenants and Residents Hall.

Free schools are part of the Academies umbrella ie self governing etc, however very different to the original batch of Academies set up under Labour, which were existing schools that were reinvented with new investment, leadership etc.

Renata

edited as missed words out!

The former site of the New Hope Christian Academy is up for rental. This is all set up as a school and seems an ideal choice for a primary school. Is this a viable option for a new school? This school is just off Lordship Lane, at 31 East Dulwich Grove, a number 37 bus stop is more or less outside it I think.

I heard the hospital (the postcode they used in their online poll of preferred sites was the hospital?s, I think). But other posts on this and the proposed Harris school suggest that making any sort of decision about the hospital before September next year is unlikely).

• 2 weeks later...

Public meeting tomorrow:

"Dear parents and supporters,

This is a quick reminder that the second of our two public consultation events takes place tomorrow, Saturday 2 February at St Faith's Community Centre, Red Post Hill, London SE24 9JQ. The meeting will start at 10am and run for about an hour.

At the meeting you will be able to ask and give us your feedback about our plans. I'm sure that prospective parents will also be keen to meet the team and especially Basia Lubaczewska, our new Headteacher.

Our first meeting two weeks ago was very successful, and it would be great to see you this weekend, whether or not you have previously been to one of our events.

With best wishes.

Peter

----------------

Peter Johnson

Judith Kerr Primary School

[email protected]

www.jkps.org.uk"