Midwife team or not, does it matter?

dibden

Hello ladies,

We are talking about trying for number two and I was wondering if having a midwife team is better than not.

Im at the gardens surgery and with my first I had the midwife there (Stella) for my appointments although she was at less than half of them. I saw a lot of different MW's at each check up, so I didn't really have any consistency thought out my pregnancy. Some of the other mums-to-be had a group of mw's they saw and they seemed to have their mobile number to call if they had concerns and had a good few home visits. I didnt have any of that.

In the end with #1 I had a planned c-section cos baba was breech so I didnt experience Kings labour ward. So I was wondering if its worth switching doctor surgery to one that had a midwife team (like the lanes midwifes) or when it comes down to the birth does it really matter?

Hiya, obviously it is down to individual experiences but here are my two pence worth:

I was with the Lanes team for all my appointments, it was great to have a contact phone no and I felt very well looked after, especially after the birth, where I got a huge amount of practical and emotional support from my lovely midwife. By sheer coincidence, however, none of the Lanes team could be with me during the birth - but I had 2 wonderful hospital midwifes during my time on the labour ward and in labour...

As for switching surgeries - that is not necessarily a guarantee that you get a midwife team anyway, I believe...

Good luck

mx

With my first and second births, I was with the King's College community midwives. I saw the same midwife for the majority of my appointents during my pregancy. However, with my first birth I had only met the midwife who was there for the delivery once (earlier in the day, conincidentally, at my 38 week appointment). With my second birth I met the midwife who was at the delivery only when I was in advanced labour.

In both cases, I had consistent care after the births. First time around it was the same mdiwife who did all the visits but she was not a midwife that I had met before. The second time around, the aftercare was with the same midwife that I had seen throughout the pregnancy.

I guess that it depends what you are after. I had really consistent care through the pregancies both time, but didn't have a familiar midwife at either birth. For me, that wasn't a big issue as I had a really lovely midwife both times.

Third time around I am with the Brierly midwives, and the care had been great so far.

I had the lanes last time & have them this time, it's an exceptional service especially the after care. I would bear in mind though that they are hugely over subscribed & if you move now to dmc you are unlikely to get on their books even if you call the day you miss your period as they prioritise previous patients etc. I'm not sure if oakwood or brierley teams are as bad but worth looking into? Good luck, it's a service worth fighting for

Having just moved to east Dulwich when I found out I was pregnant I joined DMC as I heard the Lanes were fabulous, BUT even though I called at 6 weeks pregnant I couldn't get on their books.

I opted for home birth and had the Brierly midwife team who are fabulous (also with them again for number two) but worth pointing out that they only cover home birth candidates and I think, a select number of ladies with mental health concerns (depression and the like) or more vulnerable women.

I had Oakwood with my second and third and thought they were amazing. I wasn't with Forest hill road surgery with no 2 but managed to get on their list at around 6 or 7 months. I felt very well supported and looked after before the birth, and even more so afterwards. I did have home births but they weren't planed, it was just the way they worked out. Oakwood would have come to the hospital with me too.

I couldn't rate them highly enough.