Acupuncture to bring on labour

Bluemum

Hi Bluemum

I had acupuncture to bring on labour earlier this year at the Dulwich Therapy Rooms on Lordship Lane. It was done by a very nice guy, can't remember his name, but I think he's the only acupuncturist there, and is well used to doing pregnancy labour from what I understand. Who knows if it's connected, but a word of warning, a few hours after the acupuncture I went into very, very speedy labour! A more gentle experience might be reflexology. I have used Francine at the DTR too (not related to labour) and she was really good, and I know does a lot of late pregnancy reflexology (although doesn't like to specify that it should hasten labour). Good luck!

Like the poster above I have had pregnancy acupuncture from Dan Bevan at Dulwich Therapy rooms (assume we're talking about same person as think he's the only male acupuncturist there) and also reflexology to encourage things along when I was due, with Francine the reflexologist there, who is also lovely. In the end the thing that kick started my labour was a sweep but the acupuncture and reflexology in those last few days were certainly more enjoyable and made me feel like I was doing something other than twiddling my thumbs..!

I also had acupuncture with Dan Bevan - the points for inducing birth were painful but I think effective. However, it's always impossible to know what really triggers labour (other than the baby deciding that it's time!). I had reflexology all the way through both of my pregnancies and loved it. Again, not sure if they triggered labour but so relaxing and also very lucky to have had two easy births. I had reflexology treatments from Charlotte Allocca at Touch Therapy (Alleyn Rd or Neals Yard, Covent Garden)- she is amazing!!

Good luck with your birth.

Another Dan recoommendation. He treated me in the final weeks last time I came on due day (can't credit him fully but it can't have hurt!) and have my first appointment tonight at 36 weeks to start the same process.

Also saw Francine for massage and Reflexology who is just lovely too. Good luck!

I had acupuncture to induce labour as was already several days over. Did make me laugh that when I asked if it was effective, I was told that 'the baby nearly always arrives within a few days'. Well yes.. No idea if it makes much difference, but Dan is very nice.

I had acupuncture at dulwich therapy rooms but it was with a lady. Not sure of her name. Had 3 sessions and 2 sweeps over 5 days and my daughter arrived the day before induction was booked. Not sure what to attribute it to as you never know how far you are but I did feel twinges during the acupuncture so I'm sure it does something!!

Had acupuncture, reflexology and went for a 2 mile walk. One or all of them worked for my very overdue baby .... or none of them! Swear by the walk as went into labour less than 24 hours later. Worth trying whatever it takes. Think the reflexology and acupuncture helped me to calm down and the walk got the baby into the right position. Good luck!

Hmm. I dunno. I had acupuncture when I was about a week overdue and went into labour 24 hours later. But it was a long, non-progressing labour (ending with ventouse and tearing) and I've always wondered whether that's because I tried to speed my body into things it wasn't quite ready for. Wish I had told those pressuring me about my late-ness to stuff off and relished each over due day as a day of relaxation and quiet.

I had several acupuncture sessions, lots of sweeps, daily baths with clary sage oil, gallons of that tea & all the rest but was still 13 days late.... So I'm sure it works for some but it might just be that you baby comes when it's ready...

I'm trying for a VBAC here, so if baby doesn't come out by the 20th, I'll need another c-section. Nothing to loose really! Hopefully the combination of sweep, acupuncture, walks, curry, sex, and everything else available, I'll be able to try for a natural birth. Fingers crossed!!!!

I was 2 days 'late' with DC3 in July, and was being pressed into an induction. So I walked back from Kings to the Horniman, went and had my first acupuncture ever from the lovely Dan, made my long suffering husband take me for a curry, drank 1/2 litre of pineapple juice...so exhausted myself I had to have a nap, and woke up with contractions every 3 minutes!

So who knows which bit worked...but I wish I'd done them a week earlier! Dan and his colleagues were all lovely and supportive, and how one wishes all medical professionals would be. I'd heartily recommend it.

I also used Daniel at Therapy Rooms. Contractions started that night - but then again I was 9 days overdue, and was also doing curry/sweeps/pineapple/sex/long walks/raspberry leaf tea etc etc.... So indeed, who knows?!

Unfortunately also experienced the failure to progress after 3 days of contractions.

But as I was being threatened with a hospital induction instead of the home birth I desperately wanted, also felt I had nothing to lose...

Good luck, I'd say it's def worth a try!

I had accupuncture with Dan for my second child, went into labour 11 hours later. It was the most painful and frustrating of my 3 births.

Had accupuncture with the lady for my third child, went into labour 11 hours later. It was the easiest birth. She was out 40min after arriving at hospital.

You would need a parallel universe to confirm whether or not it works but think it was quite a coincidence that labours both started after 11 hours!

The actual birth experience probably has little to do with the session. But who knows....

• 2 years later...
I had acupuncture with Claire Battersby, for both my first and second babies. Claire used to work at Dulwich Therapy Rooms, but now works at Goose Green Clinic on East Dulwich Road. I was 3 days overdue with the first and a wwek overdue with the second. In both cases, i went into labour within 12 hours of the acupuncture! A friend of mine had acupuncture from Claire. She was 38 weeks pregnant, and had high blood pressure, so had to be induced early. The day after just one session with Claire, she had a healthy baby in her arms. There mist be something in it! And besides, the treatment was gloriously relaxing. Claire is very nice, and very experienced with pregnancy acupuncture. I would recommend her.