Any tips on front-fitted child bike seat?

crescent

DC3 is 7 months old, and my older children are 7 and 9, and we've been looking forward to when DC3 is 9 months old (recommended min age for bike seats) when we can cycle on the school run again.

I'd seen a rear-mounted bike seat at Decathlon and assumed we'd go with that... but then doing some research, I've seen front-mounted ones, and I 've had misty recollections of growing up in '80s Netherlands, and mums would have little kids on the bike - toddler/ baby in the front, older child on the back.

The 2 front runners are the bobike mini and the weeride. Does anyone have any experience of these, or even any front-fitting bike seats for babies? I'd love to hear some pros and cons...

Hi, I have the Weeride front seat for my little one which I started using when he was just over a year old. I love it because having him right in front of me definitely feels safer as you can always see them and don't have to worry about what they are up to behind you! It's also easier to chat and interact with them without having to turn round to speak to them. It also seems more fun for them as they get an unobstructed view as opposed to having to stare at your back and bum! I get a lot of comments when out and about from people who think its a great concept. Negative points: I had trouble fitting it onto my bike as it requires a space at the top of the frame to fit it to and not all bike seem to have this. In the end I took it to Evans bike shop in Camberwell and they fitted it for me. You have to cycle in a bow legged fashion as you are slightly obstructed by your little one so it definitely works muscles you didn't know existed. I would imagine this would become more so the bigger they get. The foot rests on occasion have blocked the wheel from doing really tight turns so make sure it is fitted so as not to obstruct the wheel. Hills are HARD but then maybe that's just me! Some people with them say they were worried about the balance being a problem but I have to say that has not been an issue for me at all. Ultimately, what made up my mins was the security if being able to see my LO at all times and the feeling that they are slightly more protected with you in such close proximity. Hope this helps!

I took a real shine to one made by Yepp, but in the end it wasn't suitable for my bike. Like SebsC said, it really alters the way you cycle, and more so if you are on the short side. They work best on Dutch bikes, rather than the standard UK type hybrid or mountain bike. They are completely impossible on a small road bike!

I do prefer the idea of a front seat, but a back seat was more practical in the end.

Hi there,

We have the Weeride. I'd agree with most of what SebC said. It feels safe and sociable and seems to be better for little ones to be able to look out from. However I find it quite uncomfortable to cycle with, and I have to lower my saddle to be able to stop and start safely every time I use the seat. I'm quite small though, and my husband finds that he can put the seat far enough forward for it not to interfere too much.

I think for short journeys it's fine (and we do use it very regularly). For longer cycles it would be a problem unless you're quite tall I think.

I didn't have too much trouble fitting it but it's a bit fiddly. If you want to pop round and see how it fits you're welcome - could be a problem on some bikes.

Tammy

I've had the Hamax Discovery 101 Front Mounted Seat, my youngest three kids have all used it from approx 9 months to three years. We brought it back from Berlin about nine years ago after using it whilst visiting friends there, having only seen the rear ones in the UK. Its fantastic, light, easy to fit and very sturdy. We also bought an additional mounting bracket so it could be easily moved between mine or my husbands bike. All the children have loved it, and I personally found it easy to ride with it on. My daughter particularly loves ringing the bell and waving to passers by, she seems to think she is captain of the ship!

I'm sure I saw one in BC bikes, but do PM if you want to pop over and see how it fits.

Denmothersmith

• 1 month later...