Venue for coffee/lunch where toddlers can roam

Miles

Does not exist IMO. There are child friendly venues that will serve child portions and not complain if there are a lot of crumbs. But 2 year olds should not be roaming around in a venue where there is food being served as it is dangerous because staff can easily trip over a toddler. Peckham park cafe is the best bet. If the child can't sit still to have lunch, better off at home. I have a 2 year old.

Have you been to the Dish katgod? It's pretty close to what the OP wants - there will likely be lots of families tomorrow, there is a healthy kids menu, plenty of highchairs and lovely toy area at the back, I've been loads with my rambunctious 2yo and while I still have to keep a close eye on him so that he doesn't get too closely involved in the cooking/behind the counter (ahem) we keep returning because it's 10x more relaxing than anywhere else nearby! It's a fab place!

Hop Scotch in Honor Oak might be an option if it is not too cold, their outdoor space is rock but good for play, the staff are nice, they have high chairs, drinks, coffee, cakes, etc etc.

I love the Dish and think it might be you best bet but I'm trying to think outside of that..

Thanks bluesuperted. I haven't been, but have read the positive comments on here about it. It is a bit out of my way and, generally I just prefer to have my child sat up where I know she won't inadvertently cause an accident. The food does sound good though. (Edited because in reflection it is impossible to get tone right in these things and sometimes it is best just to steer clear!!)

I agree that what you need is somewhere with a designated kids' room or area - children, particularly small ones, should not run around where they can crash smack into the corners of tables (nicely at eye height) or be tripped over by waiting staff carrying hot food and drink, it's not fair on the waiting staff whose job is hard enough as it is without being expected to have eyes in their knees! Herne Tavern has good indoor and outdoor space for children.

• 4 weeks later...

BOL is a very good venue but as it is open to all members of the public - they do expect children to be supervised and not go running about whilst hot drinks and meals are being served. There was an incident some time back when a toddler bumped into a table/person with a hot drink and got a nasty burn which resulted in him/her being taken to hospital.

Also - to remind people that it is a place of business and it is not really on to buy one coffee and sit there for 2 hours chatting to friends whilst kids run around.

As it has a disabled loo and access - many elderly/disabled people use the cafe who may be a bit wobbly on their feet.

Has spaces for buggies too on the premises.

Doesn't that apply to everywhere? No one I think is looking for somewhere that their kids will run around wildly in with no supervision, just places with a bit of space for kids rather than lots of tables close together, disapproving owners and no facilities.

I also think it's lovely to have at least one place where elderly people are mixing with kids. There aren't many other places used by both parts of the community. I certainly have always been very aware of the mix of ages in there, had many conversations with other customers and been aware of the need to make sure my toddler behaves.