Bike seats and panniers balance?

Countjc

Hiya

Just wondering if any of you cyclists could give me some advice about biking my toddler around with my work stuff.

I'm about to get him a bike seat for the back of my bike ( he currently goes on a wee ride on the front of my husbands). I'm going to need to be able to carry my work stuff too so thinking either a basket or front panniers. Just wondering what other people use and how they find the balance?

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a basket with mine and to be honest I have never noticed the balance being a problem however i don't carry that much.

I chose a basket rather than panniers as I did feel I would have to totally balance them out for me not to lose balance - if that makes sense

I find a heavily packed basket unbalances me more than any lopsided amount on the back of the bike. I've never tried front panniers, but I would assume that the lower centre of gravity would affect the balance less. But I would have thought you could fit a hamax style rear seat and rear panniers at the same time.

I have a Hamax (sp?) seat and a Rixen and Kaul front basket. Weight/volume is sometimes a bit pushed, but on the whole, I could manage work clothes, shoes and handbag. I was able to leave towel and shower stuff at work, which helped. I haven't seen a back pannier that works with a seat (I used to use an Ortlieb), but would love to get recommendations.

These are the baskets - super easy to click on an off http://www.klickfix.de/index.php?mod=21&lang=en

Bon Velo in Half Moon Lane, Herne Hill stock all this and more and were really helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for the tips. I've gone for the Yepp back bike seat, as he's too big for the wee ride seat, and a basket for now. The guys at BC bikes were superstars at fitting it all and making sure a stand could work.

I think I may need to add front panniers at some point as I often need to transfer lots of books from work but I'll see how I manage with the basket for now.

Thanks again