Baby with hellish nappies

Second night in a row up with baby. Last night was vomiting. Tonight it is the most hellish, stinky, runny nappies I have ever seen. The gas he is letting off constantly: whole bedroom and bathroom smell like a sulpher mine!!

Temperature a little high but comes down with calpol/neurofen, so not worried should be in hospital or anything. He's also doing his best to be perky (including right now bless him).

Only question: do I keep b/fing him? I've stopped his solid feeds, obviously. But does breast milk prolong a bug of this kind, (by feeding it or whatever -very technical I know.) I would have thought breast milk a good thing, to keep up fluids etc, but wanted to check with anyone with more experience.

Gosh, what a stink.

Yes. Although in cases of d&v stopping milk is recommended, that doesn't apply to breast milk (though not all drs know that)

I believe breast milk actually supports a healthy intestinal flora which reduces the chance of a temporary lactose intolerance that often goes with a tummy bug

My daughter has the same thing - seems to be 24 hrs of vomiting then unbelievable nappies for a few days. GP said he's seen a few with similar symptoms over the past week and it should pass in 3 - 4 days ish. We've been giving water and dioralyte (she would just throw up the milk straightaway), then back on formula (she's 10 months) once she could hold it down. As everyone has said, so important to get the little sips of fluid down as often as possible. Hope your little ones are better soon.

Just to prove the wisdom of what you all said, now the last of his most recent solid food is through him, he hasn't had a dirty nappy (ie not since 7am). He's keeping breast milk down/in and is passing a lot of urine.

Still farting like a demon and not himself but much better than during the night.