Peckham Park Playground...

Otta

... Is shit!!!

I haven't been to PP for years, and have great great memories of my own childhood there (especially the adventure playground).

Now the park looks good, and I never expected the adventure playground to be like it was when I was a kid (mores the pity, but health & safety would NEVER allow it!). What I was surprised bu was just how rubbish the little kids playground was. No roundabout, no seesaw, onl;y 2 swings, and a little looking puddle which is actually ankle deep!

They have the space, surely they could add a couple of extra things.

Are you sure you were at the adventure playground and not just the little kids one? Adventure playground is quite cool - lots of tall wooden structures, plenty of opportunity for injury, appeals to my Kiwi upbringing!

The little playground could do with a spruce up, hasn't changed in the 6+ years we've been using it.

Hi, no I was in the little one, that's what I'm talking about.

The Adventure Playground is cool (although nowhere near as cool - and dangerous as it was in my day).

Just edited my OP as you're right, it did look like I was talking about the adventure playground rather than the little kids one.

Hi Otta,

it doesn't sound like you were at the main playground. There is an area with a couple of pieces of play equipment near the One O'clock club, and I think this is what you found! The main small children's playgrounds is in the south of the Park, and close to it is the adventure playground which is packed in summer, so I think children love it!

Pickle, I shall look into what could be done with the small children's area.

Renata

Hello, I was definitely at the main kids playground. Kids were bored within 15 minutes or so, there just could have been more to do, at least a couple more swings.

That very playground used to be great when I was little, it had everything a playground should have. I understand it would have needed updating, but it just seems to have hardly anything there.

I agree and would actually add that the bit by the one o'clock club was a terrible waste of money, a totally non useable (all of winter has been a mid bath) space with my much promise but actually just a single swing & roundabout. & the main playground bores my not even 2 year old after 15/20 mins. Compared to goose green, Dulwich park, brockwell park it's pretty disappointing.

Thankfully all those other pars are close enough to go to easily, just a shame as PRP is beautiful in itself, especially in the summer when it's not a mud bath!

I agree too, we usually don't even bother with the playground as the ducks, fountain (Sexby garden), dog free bit (tree climbing!) and general rambling around is much more entertaining for my 2.5yo. He's never requested to go to PR playground whereas when we pass GG or are in Dulwich Park he always asks to go and play. Would love a playground like the one at Brockwell or a sandpit like the Horniman park. But we ARE spoilt for choice with options round here so don't like to complain too much - when I went back to my parents' market town with my newly active toddler (when he was a year old) I was horrified at the crap playground/park offerings - and it's a very nice family place... I suppose people have their own gardens but I do love the communal outdoor spaces we have everywhere round here.

Agree that the park itself is fantastic, we have spent many happy hours over the years pottering around there, the kids like it more than Dulwich Park as there are more areas to explore. My 1 year old is happy enough with a swing and slide, but if I take the older kids to the play area now they do get bored - they used to quite enjoy playing in the "woods" behind the swings and along the side, but these days that area seems to have been thinned out and isn't as fun for them.

I would love to see some money allocated to the little playground, I'm sure it would be welcomed by many.

My 2 love prp playground. Splashing in muddy puddles and endless games of gruffalo hide and seek in the woods interspersed with a bit of climbing and swinging is just their thing. Also, the park has so much else to offer you don't have to spend your whole time in there.

Only complaint is that the adventure playground (which is very impressive) is closed on a Sunday. Why close a leisure facility on a Sunday? Genuine question, don't see any other Southwark facilities closed on a Sunday eg. Leisure centes, recycling centre etc.

Hi Laura,

yes,the playground would be a suitable thing to apply for a CGS grant. Unfortunately the 2012/13 round is closed, so it would be the 2013/14 round.I will check if there would be any other way to fund upgrades to the playground at the present time.

Hi Tomk, I've ask that before myself, it's staffing (they want some time off )and it's open on some Sundays (with the usual staff), but these are Special needs specific sessions.

Renata

Totally agree re the little kids playground at Peckham Rye, it's been as is for a long time and really just doesn't have enough equipment in it to keep children entertained for long. Would love to see some extra (and innovative?) equipment.

Re the area by the 1 o'clock club. It depresses every time I see it. I was one of the drivers to get a 'water play' feature into our park (ha!!), and applied and got Cleaner Greener Safer money to get either refurbish the old paddling pool, or fill it in so we could have some kind of new water play feature. What we ended up with, after so many years of discussion and wrangling that I gave up being involved, is NOT what I had in mind at all.

It really, really upsets me so much.

So, generally I try not to think about it too much.

So sorry I failed you all in getting a better, and truly fun water play feature for the summer like they have at so many other parks. :-(

I'm so glad this has been raised as I recently saw the work of the amazing Danish playground designers "Monstrum". Until now I was reasonable happy to put up with the playgrounds we have dotted about and the repetitive version climbing frames but after seeing what playgrounds could be like its set the seed of disappoint. It would be be amazing if a British company could think outside the box and do something truly dynamic and inspiring like this or get these guys to do playgrounds over here! My friend in Copenhagen uses this one and they just love it.

Councellor Renata Hamvas......could this be one for you to take on?

hi everyone i am living in southwark/lambeth in camberwell my local park is myatts field..loads of great history and as recently had a fantastic face lift i believe due to funding from lottery...new bandstand..new playground with zipwire and a large ship and slides..water pipes and fountains instead of paddling pool.lovely cafe selling homemade cakes..theres lots going on every weekend..perhaps someone who as the know how could find out about funding from friends of the park committee..

• 5 months later...

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Totally agree re the little kids playground at

> Peckham Rye, it's been as is for a long time and

> really just doesn't have enough equipment in it to

> keep children entertained for long. Would love to

> see some extra (and innovative?) equipment.

>

> Re the area by the 1 o'clock club. It depresses

> every time I see it. I was one of the drivers to

> get a 'water play' feature into our park (ha!!),

> and applied and got Cleaner Greener Safer money to

> get either refurbish the old paddling pool, or

> fill it in so we could have some kind of new water

> play feature. What we ended up with, after so

> many years of discussion and wrangling that I gave

> up being involved, is NOT what I had in mind at

> all.

>

> It really, really upsets me so much.

>

> So, generally I try not to think about it too

> much.

>

> So sorry I failed you all in getting a better, and

> truly fun water play feature for the summer like

> they have at so many other parks. :-(

Whatever happened to the 'snagging' that was meant to be happening at the One o Clock CLub water play or am I just imagining that there was a mention of it on a EDF thread? For a couple of beautiful weeks, when the water feature was just opened and functioning it was lovely! I even almost held a childlike belief that water might actually run uphill and that it would all be OK... almost... Who were the designers/contractors and were they ever held to account for defying commonsense and basic physics?

Sorry if this refreshes the pain Molly. I have to say that my kids at least are much happier with the present play area than the previous larger One O Clock club one.

H