Nursery waiting lists at the Villa and Herne Hill school

alaska721

Does anyone have experience of the waiting lists for the nurseries at the Villa and Herne Hill schools? I registered my daughter (who is now 20 months old) for both nurseries as soon as she was born. I know the Villa accepts children once they are two years old and Herne Hill take them on when they are almost three years old.

I was wondering what the chances would be of her getting a place at either nursery. I've heard their waiting lists are oversubscribed.

I don't know about Herne HIll, but The Villa has recently slashed their waiting list by doubling the intake. They bought the house next door and renovated it, so when it opened at the end of last summer they were able to double the size of the nursery. We were on the waiting list from when my daughter was 6 months old and she only just got a place last June when she was 2 and 2 months, however I know a couple of people who applied for a place at the end of last year, after the new building opened, for their already 2 year olds and those kids started almost immediately. Therefore if you've been on a waiting list for ages the chances of you getting a place there are more than likely! Its a lovely nursery and my daughter has been extremely happy there since day 1. PM if you have any further questions x

My daughter is also 20 months and had been on the waiting list for the villa nursery for 18 months or so. I called this week to see when she might be offered a place and was told very inlikely until August 2014! When she will be 3 and 3 months. Very annoying

Miss Oi was registered with the Villa at birth, and at around 18 months I started hassling them about her starting when she was 2 (which would be in January 2012). Firstly they said September 2012, then June. I just went on and on and on and hey presto, she started in January 2012, just after she turned 2 and when I wanted her to. I had been warned that you do have to push and push which is a bore.

Herne Hill tend to assess all those on the waiting list and then offer out places to those that have passed the assessment in waiting list order. So your child will be called for assessment in the December/January before they are three (depending on whether you want nursery or kindergarten (April start or September start)). If you registered your daughter immediately on her birth, you would most likely have a good chance of a place, provided she passes the assessment (handled very lovingly at HH, just like a play date, but they do have to separate from you).

I put my son down on the waiting list when he was around 1 yr old, then when he was 2.5 yrs old my friend responded to an ad they had placed and got a place STRAIGHT AWAY... the whole thing is a joke. same with little jungle. they all seem disorganised and tho I accept it is a nightmare task for nurseries I think it's crazy we all have to wait 2 yrs to get place and then find out there isn't really always a logic to the places offered. I got my son in at Bright Horizons after 3-4 months waiting and it is excellent, cdnt wish for anywhere better.

Thanks for all the replies. I did contact the Villa yesterday and was told that it's still a bit to soon to know if places will be available in June 2013. I will keep pushing them though and let you know how I get on.

rgracieg: I will keep you updated if I hear back from the Villa. It looks like our daughters could be starting around the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
We were told when registering at the villa that the waiting list was 2 years, however when the intake increased we were able to get a place sooner - when DS was 2.5, exactly when we needed him to start. Doing a tour wasn't a problem, and its such a lovely nursery its worth pushing for. The 'caterpillars' are in the new building which is very light clean and cosy with underfloor heating and DS loves it there.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: I just thought I would add an update in case there are any other parents who have their children on the waiting list for the Villa Nursery. My daughter has finally been offered a place to start in July 2013 (so shortly after her second birthday and two years after I registered her on the waiting list). I did have to make a few telephone calls to the Villa to get answer but this was mainly because she was offered a place at Nelly's Nursery (where she had been registered since before birth). The Villa was my preferred choice and I didn't want to accept the offer at Nelly's in case the Villa came through.

Anyway, I've been impressed so far. The nursery manager has returned all my calls and seems very professional. I also managed to get the attendance days I wanted (Mondays and Tuesdays). My stay-at-home-husband is looking forward to the two days a week child-free time he is going to get!