Me again - tips for travel beds

jennyh

What happens when your toddler hates their travel cot and wakes every 45 mins from rolling into the sides? She has never been a big fan which has stopped us going away a bit but now she is much bigger I think it's really because its too small for her. She has always had a cotbed so is used to having space to move around.

Soo... We are hoping to go to the Lake District in June but the bed thing is stressing me out. The room is a double so she'll share a room with us but we struggle to ever get her to share a bed with us. Has anyone used one of those blow up travel beds? Any recommendations on what has worked for you in the past?? A single mattress might work but we don't have access to one in the house I don't think.

Thanks!

Kids love blow up beds. You can get the ones with slightly raised sides, in their favourite character. Only problem we ever had was our youngest refusing to use anything but the wafer thin blanket that comes with them.....when camping!

I'd say that as long as getting out of bed isn't a problem (i.e. they're used to sleeping without rails to keep them in) then it's probably a great option. If it's really cold, you may want to take a roll up mat or fleece blanket to put under the bed - we do that with airbeds as otherwise the cold tends to creep up from the floor.

This might sound a bit drastic but our daughter is also very resistant to her travel cot so rather than spending our last holiday in Devon taking hours every evening to try and get her down for the night, we used one of those companies that deliver and assemble a cot or cot bed to your cottage for the duration of your hols and then pick it up on the last day. I think it was about ?30 for 5 days and it was money well spent as we were able to relax in the evenings while our daughter went to sleep with no fuss in a cot bed which was familiar, rather than the 2 hour marathon that often happens if we try to get her down in a travel cot.

Just had a quick google and think at least one these companies might cover Lake District

http://www.rentingforrascals.co.uk/sections/sleeping.asp

http://www.rentabuggy.co.uk/faqs.html

We had a similar issue with our son who was fine in cot bed but too big for travel cot by the age of 2. We had a summer holiday and a long weekend away coming up so ended up moving him into a bed at home about a month before our first trip which was just after his 2nd birthday so that he'd be ok in a ready bed when we went away. We wanted to go through the pain of 'wow I can get out of bed whenever I like' at home rather than on our holiday! In fact it was a very easy transition as he was so excited to be in a bed and then our weekend and holiday were both very easy with him in the ready bed (which is the inflatable bed with raised sides).

Planning to do the same with just turned 2 year old before this years holidays!

Had no idea you could get temporary cot beds delivered- wow!