Learning to knit

When I was a child and my mother tried to teach me to knit, sew or cook I refused on the basis that she was being sexist and didn't suggest the same to any of my brothers.

So I learned to cook at University and have started teaching my children the basics (my boy as well obv!)

However I still can't knit or sew and wish I could.

Does anyone know of any classes/courses locally - preferably weekend or evening as I work f/t. My daughter (aged 5) would also like to learn(she is sensible enough to realise that being able to everything that the boys can do and more is probably a good thing).

If this doesn't exist, can someone start it up please!

Thanks

Mrs.lotte

The Scarlet Peacock run evening knitting, crochet and sewing classes (google should bring up the website). Also Moo Too were offering knitting classes a while ago and I imagine with their refurb they are probably still doing so.

I saw someone recently offering knitting classes for kids on the forum, although I think they were 8 years and up. From my experience I think 5 might be a little bit young (I've been trying to teach my daughter and haven't had much luck, and I knit as a business), but it's never too early to start them finger knitting, which she loves.

Good luck x

I've done knitting lessons at Sharp Works, the shop in herne hill by the station. They have a rolling programme of evening classes (eg, as well as beginners, they have ones on making up techniques, knitting with colour and knitting socks) and they are v reasonably priced. I've since popped in every now and then for help on particular projects (usually correcting mistakes!) and they've been super helpful.

I have done the scarlet peacock beginners classes too which are also good.

I'm also trying to learn how to knit. My husband has taught me the basics, but I need someone 'professional' to teach me how to undo things, as when I make a mistake how to correct it without needing to get rid of several rows!

I'll look in to that place in Herne Hill.

I did a course with Scarlet Peacock at All Fired Up, three evenings, it was really good. The lady who ran it was Catherine Hirst, she has a really good website with helpful videos that show you how to do various things. The Sharp Works classes look really good and are cheaper but I haven't done one yet.

Another vote for Catherine Hirst's workshops. Learnt a lot and it was lovely 'me time' as the workshops were in the evenings (after bedtime).

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to practise (although have knitted a few items since), but this has prompted me to dig out my knitting box:-)

I took the evening course in Hand Knitting at Morley College which I can't recommend enough. It was very informal, with people of all different ability levels which allows you the space to work on your own projects at your own pace.

• 3 months later...
Knit something different! If anyone would like to organise a small group of like minded friends who want to have fun knitting quirky stuff or not I don't mind I would be happy to come to you for a small fee. I already run an afternoon knitting club which is really a lot of fun, I help with the difficult bits - dropped stitches, reading patterns, etc.,have a great variety of patterns, can provide wool and you can borrow different size needles. I can come morning or afternoons. In the meantime please visit my website www.great-knits.co.uk. The last gallery is solely dedicated to the knitting the adults in my group have done. Hope to hear from you.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately we are no longer running craft classes, and neither is Catherine Hirst. Other places near here that do are Sew Over it In Clapham North (overground from P Rye or Denmark Hill) and The Old School Club in Lavender Hill/Battersea Rise (No 37 bus) - they also have an OFSTED creche, so you can take your little ones and have them looked after whilst you learn. Good luck, and enjoy!

Mel

x