Do you know anything about Axminster?

I know a bit about Axminster.

The train service to London is very good - clean and reliable and with reasonably priced tickets if you can book in advance. It takes 2 hours 40 mins from Waterloo. From Axminster the train gets you to Exeter very easily which has a good shopping centre. Not huge like a Westfield but I prefer it and it has most of the big shops you need including a brand new John Lewis. Not too many independents though. Public transport is otherwise by bus which will get you to Lyme Regis and all along the Jurassic coast but less good going inland. Buses are slow as the roads are small.

Primarys schools are all pretty good. Not sure which secondaries serve Axminster but Woodroffe in Lyme Regis is very popular. A friend has children there and is delighted. Colyton Grammar will cover Axminster but is super popular and highly selective. It usually beats the Dulwich private schools in league tables and, of course, is free but it has a wide catchment so be prepared for being a chauffeur (which you will probably be anyway if you plan to live in the country).

Axminster itself has none of the shops/cafes/restaurants ED has, except for Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's Canteen which is excellent but has London prices. His River COttage is roughly in between Axminster and Lyme Regis. Axminster's Tesco was the focus of his anger when he was campaigning against supermarket poultry. In fact Axminster shops are pretty poor: A Boots, an old 'Are You Being Served' type department store, a wool shop, opticians, bank and not a lot more. It does have a useful Mole Avon (a kind of country store which sells everything), a small Co-op and a good fish and chip shop but the BEST fish and chip shop is in Lyme Regis. In fact, Lyme Regis is a better bet all round. 20 mins drive from Axminster but with more independents and lots of coffee shops etc. They even have a cupcake shop!

Axminster has a swimming pool which is run by the residents. Good value and has the usual lessons, parties and bouncy castles in the holidays.

If you want to be in the countryside try the Marshwood Vale which is near Axminster. Beautiful but not really near anything. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Bristol is reachable by car for shopping. Lots of beautiful places on the coast for walks etc but getting anywhere in the tourist season takes twice as long. You will need a bigger house as everyone will want to visit you. Carnivals and cheerleaders are a big thing (check out the local papers online). Bridport is nice and about 20 mins away but isn't as nearly like places like ED as you might think from its publicity.

skylorikeet, thank you. That is most helpful. I got a sense that you wouldn't go anywhere without a car already... The houses (large) we are looking at are in semi rural spots and with lots of space (3 or 4 acres)but cost the same as a 3 bed 1930s in ED. Yet, I m not sure I would swap, but my partner is really keen to move to the countryside.

I know Lyme Regis is quite nice, but Axminster doesn't seem to be much to look at.

Nice to know about the JL in Exeter!

I called a couple of schools and one said 'we are a small school' which means that if my son joined reception, he would be one of 4 kids: FOUR! I m not sure that is a good or a bad thing....

Keep the info coming if you think of anything else.

sillywoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nice carpets:)

but maybe not for much longer....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-21640807

I have visited - just once - on a pilgrimage to the River Cottage a couple of years ago. I have to say I thought the town itself, whilst attractive, was totally depressing in terms of shops/cafes etc! My in laws live near Exeter and we love visiting that part of Devon - I could definitely live there....my husband claims he can't work there though.

Bee - we live in a village in kent and my little boy will only be 1 of 12 in reception next year if he goes to the village school - I thought that was extreme!!

Yes even the very good schools are small and often combine year groups. Nobody down there thinks anything of it but it does seem odd to us here in London. There's a very good primary in Uplyme called Mrs Ethelstan's and their numbers fluctuate according to the birth rate which is as it should be I suppose. They combine year groups if they have to and then stream. However, I do think a class can be TOO small - you need enough to be able to choose your friends and also I would have thought you need a critical mass to get ideas flowing in the classroom and enough to field teams for sport.

I agree Axminster isn't much to look at, there are plenty of villages nearby which are prettier. I was going to name some but actually all of the nearby villages are prettier than Axminster! Forgot to mention Honiton which is pretty too and even had an (whisper it) M&S but sadly it closed down. It does have a lot of antique shops though.

Glad this has been useful. Who would have thought I could have used my knowledge of a small East Devon market town on the EDF. (Don't get excited by the word market though - it's smaller than Northcross Rd)

snowboarder - where do you live? Kent doesnt sound as remote and 12 sounds better than 4! You will have to come and visit if we move to Devon!

I agree about number in schools: can't be that low or there not enough energy going around. Having said that, it is true that they put kids together from different years, which seem nice and this particular school also has its own solar heated pool and outdoor areas with forest, veg patch, etc...

well I went on Tuesday (yes for the day, it was a bit of a marathon drive).

you are right Axminster itself is nothing much, but the River Cottage Canteen is nice and the countryside is soooo lovely! And yes, the villages are very cute.

I went to see two houses and one school. The houses were stunning - same price of a 3 bed with small garden in ED with acres of land, 6 beds, annexes, etc. And the school was fantastic. Two teachers took me round and we had a long lovely chat. Reception has 16 kids, they have a massive playgrounds with climb frame, slides, etc, chickens and views across the valley and fields. It's also a new building with all mod cons.

Axminster is literally 10 minutes from the beach which i had not realised!

I think I am sold.

Still my heart misses a bit at the idea of leaving behind bars, cafes and shops...