Childminder V Nursery

I need a little help, I am very torn between nursery and a childminder for my little one when I return to work in July.

I will be going back to work on Mondays and Fridays and need care from 8am - 6/6.15pm. Fridays may be a little more flexible as my husband works from home so will be able to do drop off/ collection.

I guess my main questions are firstly re cost. My preferred nursery charge ?530 a month for 2 days. Can anyone give me a rough idea on the cost of a childminder?

A nursery fee obviously includes all food and activities. Can anyone give me an idea of what they spend on these things when using a childminder?

When, if I wanted a childminder would I have to start looking? How far in advance can you secure a childminder?

Lastly are there any circumstances where the childminder collects your child, I haven't obviously done it as yet but I am assuming time will be tight when I am trying to get out of the house in the morning.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Suzie

Hi,

Childminders I have met have charged betweem ?45 and ?60 per day, usually inclusive of food. With both nursery and childminder you normally have to supply your own nappies and wipes, and formula (if your child has that). Nurseries normally supply cows milk for those over 1year old, not sure about childminders on that one.

Round here, I would start looking for your childcare as early as possible- I've found both nurseries and childminders are busy, nurseries with long waiting lists, and childminders full up, although both are subject to change I guess.

With home collections, I didn't come across any childminders who did that (I guess given they're often looking after a few children, maybe with school drop offs too, it might be difficult, but you can always ask/negotiate!). Maybe try to look for someone/where on your way to the station/in the general direction of work, as you can go on your way to work rather than out of your way. Yep, time is tight in the mornings, and I found the logistical side of getting everyone ready and out the door one of the hardest things about going back to work, but you will find your own rhythm. I now know why all those women do their make up on the train in the morning!

Good luck with your search.

RenF

I think there have been some similar threads on this topic so it may be worth doing a search.

In our case, our son goes to a childminder 3-4 days per week. We found her after lots of research a few months before he was due to start and he has been with her for over 18 months now. We pay ?57.50 for an 8am to 6pm day and she has 4 weeks' paid holiday per year.

Our son's childminder provides all food, drinks, milk, etc. She pays for the groups that they attend (usually 2 or 3 each week) and for things like soft play or city farms when she takes him there. We supply the nappies but she supplies wipes, etc.

So really the price we pay is for everything and there are no hidden extras, but I understand all childminders work in different ways so you would need to check individually with them.