How much to pay a live in nanny

Sol

Full time hours (which can inculde a couple of evenings a week of babysitting as well as 10 hours per day of childcare) is about ?300-350 a week net for the nanny. I have no idea exactly how much more that costs as a gross amount to the employer, but it's usually about 30% more for tax and NI contributions. There may be tax payable on accommodation costs as a benefit in kind, too.

A friend in ED has an au pair who I think they pay ?100-?150 a week expenses in addition to providing her accomodation / food / bills etc. Seems to work very well for them and something we will definately consider once we have converted our loft as we also have twins and find juggling nursery with work and family life and the cripplingly high cost of daycares and nannies in the area a struggle. it is a good option if you have the room to accomodate an au pair wihtout living on top of each other.

It looks like it depends a lot on the family and aupair/ nanny. Some families hire au pairs to do full time hours and look after young children and pay them as au pairs; some other hire live in nannies and pay them as such and some other do hire au-pairs who in reality work as au-pairs (30 hours a week) and the rates vary between 70 and 100 per week for au pairs.

For live in nannies someone told me ?250 and another one ?350 a week so a rate of around ?300 per week should be a fair one.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Food and accomodation (as long as the accomodation doesn't have its own front door) is not usually charged as a benefit in kind for tax purposes. There are online nanny tax calculators that will help you convert the net to gross figures people will quote on here. Pay varies wildly depending on experience and the exact requirements of the roll.

Norland nannies doing there probation year is one option if you can't afford someone with lots of experience. A friend of mine went down that route as the nannies have lots of support / training etc before and during the probation year and were really dedicated to being child care professionals usually with significant (non-nannying) experience. As they don't have to travel to and from work, typical live in roles are 60 hours a week plus one evening babysitting and doing food / laundry / tidying for the children only.

For a probation Norland nanny, the current gross salary for a live in position where you provide room and board and standard household bills is just over 17k per annum. The accomodation / food and bills is generally felt to be worth around 8-9k as a benefit in kind and is therefore comparable to a live out nanny on a gross salary of circa 25k.

Remember to budget between 150-200 a month for extra food and don't forget about extra heating and electricity costs as someone will be home during the day.

Good luck with you search.

looking after twins that are babies / toddlers is hard work and not something that an au pair should be doing full time, more like a nanny or au pair plus. For 5 long days - say 8am to 6.30 I think a qualified live in nanny would have to be at least ?350 a week if you wanted them to babysit onenight a week- which is normal!

I pay just over ?1700 net per month for my live-in. She works 50 hours per week. I think you can pay less than this if you like but she has 20 years experience and is a sticker (her longest job lasted about 8 years). And I have three pre-schoolers whom she has sole-charge of for those 50 hours.

I can't remember what that is gross, but I pay about (I think) ?2500 to the tax man every quarter.