Pocket money

Well I give my 7 year old ?2.50 and my 4 year old ?1.50, he hasn't quite grasped the concept of the value of money and often tries to convince me he has enough for a new power ranger!

I decided to introduce it as a reward for good behaviour ( basically not beating the crap out of each other) and also to try and make them understand the term saving( something that at 37 I'm still struggling with)

Money gets deducted if they have been troublesome this can be earned back. As an incentive I have found money works better than a sticker chart. They ha e me sussed, they no I forget to give them stickers or they swindle them out of me.

I give mine 25p per year of life per week. So my 8yr old gets 25p x 8 (?2) each week. This means it automatically goes up 25p each birthday and so we haven't had to rethink it for a while. I don't expect them to do chores for this, although they do generally help with laying the table, emptying dishwasher and tidying but not all the time. Occasionally, my hubby will give them extra for doing specific chores - picking leaves up in the garden for eg. Their Nan also gives them ?1 each per week.

They can spend it on whatever and as they have got older tend to save for a few weeks to get 'better' things.

Magazines / comics are separate as they are so expensive and we have hit on relatives getting them annual subscriptions for b'days.

My eldest is now at secondary school and is out and about a little more with her friends and so I give her extra money on occasion for swimming / cinema trips but this still infrequent at the moment and we will probably need to rethink long term.

Old thread in a similar vein here http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,946681,946913#msg-946913

We're a bit tighter than mrs TP, we give 10p per week/ per year of life up until secondary school. Thereafter they get ?10 a month in lower school, ?20 in upper school & onward. If that's not enough then we're happy to help them get jobs (though they do seem harder to come by than when I was Saturday job age). We buy all essential clothes/ books/ toiletries etc. etc. and we pay a set amount for their mobiles each month (older kids obviously!), so this money is an added extra for them. They are expected to use it to save for any toys or special sweeties or whatever when younger & for paying for coffees/chips/ icecream etc when out with their mates when they're older. If they want more there are jobs they can do around the house, over & above their usual chores, to earn extra bits.

On second reflection, perhaps I'm not the best person to ask actually as I've just worked out that madmum's 7 year old is given the same amount as my 13 year old, and Mrs TP's 8 year old gets 25% more! I'm clearly very behind the times (or tight as a tick's bum ;) ) and am definitely NOT going to show this thread to my children.