On-line deliveries - tip?

I do a tesco shop once very 10 days - 2 weeks. Generally there are 5 or so crates. The guy has to come up 6 steps and then bring into my kitchen. In the past I have not tipped, but then I noticed that my husband (who always pays the takeaway delivery guy) pays him ?3-5 around about10%. Tonight I gave the Tesco guy ?2 on a ?113 shop. This was all the cash I had in my purse. So, question: was it too much, too little, unnecessary? Please let me know what you do, so I can get it right.

I have shopping delivered by Tesco weekly and have never tipped. They get paid to do their job, if I tipped everyone who delivered things to my door on top of what I already pay for the goods themselves I would be bankrupt!

They are NOT allow to accept any money at the door, tip or otherwise.. Its against the rules of their job and they could face disciplinary action if they are found to be accepting payments from customers. Don't feel bad about not tipping, your not expected to. Most delivery drivers are lovely, just like a little general chit chat and a genuine thank you!

I'm like Pickle, never tip for deliveries, grocery or otherwise.

Husband often tips the grocery delivery bloke ?1-2, irrespective of the amount of groceries, and particularly if the weather is bad or delivery is late in the evening/wknd.

We usually have Sainsbury's delivery, not Tesco. I don't know exactly how they differ, but I do know that in general they are not obligated to bring the goods past the threshold of your door. If your delivery person is regularly bringing them up steps and into your kitchen, that is very kind.

Slightly off on a tangent, and very British...but I'm never quite sure if I'm 'meant' to tip takeaway delivery people / hairdressers. Hairdressers tend to look happy and un-flumoxed when I do, but a friend said the other day she never does, and it's not expected...and some takeaway people look positively offended when I tip! What's the unspoken rule / consensus on all of this?!