living across the road from a primary school

Minimal impact and if you don't already have kids and are thinking of settling and having them then move in. Primary school places are at a premium and you need to live as close as you can to your local school to guarantee a place.

Until fairly recently we lived opposite Heber school (on the Jennings Road side), no problems at all with cars/parking - there are a few more cars of course, but given you have to live within spitting distance of most primary schools to get in, most people walk to school rather than drive. I also used to love hearing the kids playing out at playtime - happy sounds! The only time we would get 'disturbed' was following the annual parent disco - shameful behaviour ;-) ...

We used to live across from Heber (nearly 7 years since we moved). At the time I had no kids, and was self employed, doing a lot of my work from home, but never felt bothered by the noise. As Kristymac says, the playtime noise was happy noise. Definitely handy when the time comes to apply for primary schools.

If I arrive home at school pick up time I don't have a hope of parking near my home. But great at weekends and I don't have anyone overlooking my garden at weekends when we most use it. Easy to get children to school in the morning too!

We live opposite St. Anthonys - our youngest daughter went there during the 90s and being on the 'friends committe' we were always receiving complaints from residents in Etherow. Friern, Norcroft and Barry Rds re car parking. I also put in a couple of complaints. Notice there still is alot of double parking whilst kids are dropped off, and alot of traffic - but situation in Barry Road appears to be stable. If it is a church school - they have a wider catchment area so many aprents drop off kids on way to work

I live opposite Ivydale and personally I love it. I love the community feel it brings being close to a school. It does get noisy (if children laughing and playing could be called noise). Again, this "noise" I love, it makes me feel part of the community. I am hoping also that the close proximity to the school means baby ivydale can go there in a few years but this is by no means certain...

Parking of course is an issue but only at drop off and pick up.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We live opposite St. Anthonys - our youngest

> daughter went there during the 90s and being on

> the 'friends committe' we were always receiving

> complaints from residents in Etherow. Friern,

> Norcroft and Barry Rds re car parking. I also put

> in a couple of complaints. Notice there still is

> alot of double parking whilst kids are dropped

> off, and alot of traffic - but situation in Barry

> Road appears to be stable. If it is a church

> school - they have a wider catchment area so many

> aprents drop off kids on way to work

As you say, I think the parking issue is because of selection aspect of faith schools. Most non-selective schools cater for very small, local catchment area and kids tend to walk.