The horrible sexism in Peppa Pig !

I don't know about anyone else but I have finally taken the step of stopping my kids watching Peppa Pig.

I don't want them being given the impression day in day out that men are stupid. If it was women who were the butt of the jokes there would surely be uproar?.

Haha, you're not the first person I've heard say that (about the male characters being the stupid ones).

More worrying is that it seems to enforce pretty dated stereotypes of the male / female roles in the world.

we've got a Peppa book called My Daddy which Mr Oi stopped reading to Miss Oi when he got to the bit where Daddy Pig's favourite exercise is lifting the remote control . . . Peppa is a whiny little thing, though, isn't she? I like Mr Dinosaur best.

I'm a bit confused about the roles...Mummy Pig works on her computer sometimes - but it always looks like she is writing a letter, rather than studying or working freelance (though how you would convey that...?!). As a mother who often works at home, perhaps I am analysing this aspect of things too much, though!!!

I always thought the 'daddy bashing' was supposed to be ironic? Tbh, Mr Saff takes a pretty good ribbing here most days from Little Miss Saff and me. ;-)

More distrubing for me is Peppa's poor diction and appalling grammar!!

Try letting pre-schoolers watch Peppa Pig on BBC Alba, in Gaelic, and then keep your distance, but secretly listen to them rationalise what's going on. V funny. And not at all sexist.

Also they tire of it v quickly.

I'm trying not to ban anything for fear of creating whatever is the pre-school mentality's equivalent of martyrs.

... But isn't mummy pig just brighter and that's not really sexist?

I assumed that George had inherited his mum's brain cell and Peppa her dad's

So the gender is reversed in the children's generation

George often 'gets' things before Peppa does despite being younger

Saila Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... But isn't mummy pig just brighter and that's

> not really sexist?

>

> I assumed that George had inherited his mum's

> brain cell and Peppa her dad's

>

> So the gender is reversed in the children's

> generation

>

> George often 'gets' things before Peppa does

> despite being younger

Liked.

• 11 months later...

Back to Peppa - it is a bunch of cartoon pigs running around in clothes and living in a house. It is so far removed from reality that I find it difficult to take its story lines and character development seriously or as a reflection on modern life. You need a big pinch of salt - preferably on the crackling!

Kids learn their attitudes to others from the real people around them.

That all sounds v serious and its not meant to - Peppa is just frivolous, take it or leave it.

Agree with Mrs TP. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for and they're not going to base their world view on a cartoon about pigs (unless that's the only stimulus they're exposed to i.e. they're watching PP 24/7)). Lighten up y'all.