Anyone know of a good adult ballet class?

Want to regain core body strength, flexibility and posture after third baby and 4.5 years of pregnancies, baby-carriers, and co-sleeping/breast-feeding at night in awkward positions.

Used to take a low key ballet class (mixed ability, some complete novices) at a gym at London Bridge. Really liked it. But wondered if anything closer.

Nothing involving point work!

WM

Fiona Foster does an adult ballet class 8.30 pm mondays at the Albrighton Centre, It's been going a long time and is delightful. Term time only. She also does a Grade 6 adult class at Push studios on Friday evenings...7.30 I think.

Louisa (McAlpine Dance Studio) is planning to start a Tuesday evening Adult Ballet class at 7.30-8.30pm.

Venue: Longfield hall, 50 Knatchbull Road, London SE5 9QY

Possible start date: Tuesday 23rd April

Can I put in a plug for Michael Branwell's "Balletic Enjoyment" class at Central School of Ballet on Thursdays from 7.15pm to 8.45pm? It's a bit of hike into central london but I reckon it's worth it. The name is a bit of a misnomer as it's a 'proper' ballet class. Michael is around 60 years old now, but he worked for years as a professional dancer (ENB) and he's studied the history and theory of dance too. Put those together and he has some great tips for improving technique, especially in people who are no longer bendy 15 year olds, and as the class is (usually) quite small, you get quite a lot of personal attention. It's rather a 'gentle' class, but you still work hard - and get results. Classes are drop-in and cost ?8.

I can highly recommend Louisa McAlpine at Louisa McAlpine Dance Studio, Camberwell. I have been attending her classes for a number of years and she is the most encouraging, fun, professional dancer you could meet. Highly trained and still managing to combine performances in West End productions with teaching commitments("The Micado" to name one), she is the perfect teacher for adults. Classes are drop in, usually small and very good value (around ?8). She is planning to start an evening class from next Tuesday 7.30-8.30pm. Definitely worth a try.

Eos Dance at the ED Community Centre - classes are excellent. Ari is so patient and nice, also offers constructive criticism and plenty of praise to keep you motivated throughout the class :) Even when you feel slightly awkward jumping across the room or doing certain steps she is very encouraging and generally lovely!

Saturdays 12.30pm at the community centre on Darrell Rd SE22.

Search Eos Dance on the forum and you will see plenty of good reviews for Ari's classes.

Best wishes x

• 1 month later...
I can also highly recommend Louisa McAlpine at McAlpine Dance Studio, Camberwell (07780907375). She now gives adult classes on both a Tue evening 7.30 and Friday morning 9.45 and they are the highlight of my week. She is a wonderful teacher, patient, encouraging, inspiring and her classes are really enjoyable.

• 1 year later...