Goose Green Primary School: now a National Support School & Headteacher a National Leader of Educati

In case you missed the news about Goose Green Primary School, here it is!

Goose Green Primary & Nursery School in East Dulwich has been selected for a top role as a National Support School. Headteacher Sharron Marland has been appointed to the role of National Leader of Education after a rigorous selection process. She is one of a select few to be appointed to the role as very few headteachers and schools are selected for this prestigious designation. This builds on the success of Goose Green School's latest Ofsted inspection in 2012 which commended the leadership as being Outstanding.

Headteacher Sharron Marland said: ?'The strong Leadership team (including Governors) of Goose Green School means we can offer other schools a rounded package of support from strategic planning to improving the quality of teaching and learning whilst continuing our own successes. Parents of our children are already proud of the school and now that the National College are pleased to recommend us nationally to other schools confirms that Goose Green children are receiving a high standard of education and level of care.'

Tessa Jowell MP, visited the school on Friday 22nd May to observe our practice as a Chartered School for PHSE and congratulate the school on its success.

?Goose Green deserves all the plaudits and awards coming its way. The children are bursting with pride in their school community where excellent values are reflected in everything the children do. Motivation and aspiration are the hallmarks. My congratulations go to everyone at the school?

Maggie Farrar, Executive Director at the National College, said: ?It?s great that heads like Sharron are willing to look beyond their own school gates to help more schools and pupils achieve. They should also be proud of their role because this scheme is at the heart of our efforts to create a self-improving, school-led education system.?

My son's occupational therapist at Sunshine House told me she hadn't come across a school like GG - praised his teacher, the class, the school. She even shared info on GG with the rest of her team, and phoned me to let me know how great it was (as well as how great my boy is ha ha)

A lot of people have commented on the fact that its not as diverse as the other schools and I think that makes a lot of white middle class parents uncomfortable . I think Ofsted said that over 85 percent of the pupils are from an ethnic background namely black Caribbean and African. As pointed on another thread about private/state education and connecting with people outside of their usual circle and sticking to what you know and feel comfortable with identity wise , maybe the typical family that lives in Dulwich doesn't feel comfortable with having that imbalance of ethnicity ?

Sore point ?

I think it's rather more diverse than some of the local schools not less. I'm white my husband is half Indian my children are in that percentage if we make people feel uncomfortable then I think that's a significant problem - for them.

If people are more concerned about the colour of people's skin which of course doesn't relate to social "status" anyway than the quality of education then I do hope that they are not in the playground with me or classroom with my kids.

Not a pop at you dulwichbornandbred, I think you are being honest, about time someone said why it is that some at least have overlooked the school (and other good local schools too)

Whereas for say Goodrich its says on the Ofsted report that Goodrich is much larger than most primary schools. Around half of the pupils are of White British heritage. The rest are from a range of minority ethnic groups, the largest of which are Black Caribbean and Black African. Compared to for Goose Green: Just over 85% of pupils come from a range of ethnic backgrounds other than White British: the largest groups are Black African and Black Caribbean .

Yup. The diversity stats are true. I'm white British/American/Canadian (I have three citizenships - very difficult to pigeonhole me!) and I like the diversity. Although when you look at it year by year, you can see that more white british children are joining the schools in the early years. Anyway, it means that the parents who do choose the school are more interested in quality of education and care of children than in other factors. Making it a very interesting and stimulating parent community. Yay! Way to go GG!

I find your comments offensive "comments by black people that its more black pupils there" guess its not Peckham! are you implying that Black has a negative impact,however,even so you should not feel so comfortable to post such dergatory comments.

Back to GG There was an article In the Peoples Reuplic of Southwark & LBS website that at a council assembly a GG parents complaint about not recieving the complaints form, see below

School bans parents - Peoples Republic of Southwark

www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/.../1796-goose-green-...

You can take it as negative if that is the way your mind is inclined to think .

They took it as imbalanced .

You can take it up with them if you , I would gladly point you in their direction.

bessieanne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find your comments offensive "comments by black

> people that its more black pupils there" guess its

> not Peckham! are you implying that Black has a

> negative impact,however,even so you should not

> feel so comfortable to post such dergatory

> comments.

> Back to GG There was an article In the Peoples

> Reuplic of Southwark & LBS website that at a

> council assembly a GG parents complaint about

> not recieving the complaints form, see below