Haberdasher Aske's music test

Can anyone shed any light on the music aptitude test for Habs? My son is a drummer, his teacher at school has recommended he tries for entry under the music scholarship system although he hasn't suggested how we can prepare for the tests so any info would be appreciated. Thanks

The head of music John Skinner is a good good man who has always made sure that no child with musical ability would miss out because their family couldn't afford lessons. He set up a trust to make sure of that years ago (and I'm assuming it's still the case). He gives up his time after school every day for choirs or bands, and stays late helping his GCSE and A Level students. He gives up his Saturdays doing CYM (Centre for young musicians) and his school holidays are usually spend helping with the LSSO / LSSB or their little siblings.

The fact there are some spaces there for musically talented children is because he wants them to have a chance, not because they are being somehow elitist.

He did a lot for me when I was a teenager, and I'm forever grateful to him (even though at the time I probably cursed him a fair few times).

Interesting link! Thanks for that bellenden belle. As my son is a percussionist, I was a bit unsure about the test incase it would be more biased towards orchestral instruments i.e. musicians that read music. I found some samples of the listening test online and it seems like the kind of thing that he might get on with.

Otta - thanks for that info about the music teacher. Maybe we will meet him at the school visit.

As an aside, if you are looking for a drum teacher for your son, I recommend Matt Fishwick a fantastic local drummer who has several students in the area. He has been teaching my 8 year old son drums for just over a year. His number is 07531 123437. My partner is a professional musician and knows Matt through the jazz scene and has upmost respect for his musicianship. He is also a very patient teacher as my son can be abit of a livewire (typical drummer!) to handle. His website is here http://www.mattfishwick.net/

Daughter has gone through this process last year. Test is easy, as long as your son has some trained / natural ability in music. I'm sure he must have very good sense of rhythm but do get some practice software for intervals etc.

Good Luck.

hi Lightweight, it is very competitive to get through the Aske's music test. The level of competition has probably increased as the part 1 and part 2 tests and results being issued before the closing date for CAF forms. It means if your child passes part 1 and is highly ranked in part 2, you know that they will be offered a music place. I do know of a child with no music training whatsoever who got in (passed part one, and high ranked in part 2 by singing).

The advantage of this is that if your son doesn't pass part 1, and you live too far away, that it's not worth using up a place on the CAF form for Aske's. I think there was some helpful stuff on Mumsnet a while back, so it may be worth searching for this.

Renata

Hi Renata - I'll look into this more at the school Open Day. I wonder if drummers are what they are looking for or perhaps they prefer orchestral instruments. My son does show some interest in learning tuned percussion so that could be an option but I'll leave it to him to decide after the Open Day if the scholarship is something that interests him.

My child has thrived as a drummer at Kingsdale - he's played at concerts at The Royal Festival Hall and JAGs in the last few weeks, as well as at school. I think he lives in the Music Department! When we looked at Aske's they weren't offering drum lessons, but that may have changed. It's good that Aske's now let you know the result of the 'Music Aptitude Test' before you have to submit your CAF - I think that was new last year.

We're in Deptford so I haven't figured out what the daily journey to Kingsdale would be like but if that's a possibility, then I will definitely look into that. I don't know if many of the children at our primary go on to Kingsdale but a few go to Aske's.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone attend Habs on a Music Scholarship? I'd be interested in finding out more about the audition: Roughly what level do they expect and how many instruments? My son is sitting Grade 4 on one instrument this Summer and I wondered if that is around the level they are looking for?