Ivydale admissions

Hi there

We're not doing primary school applications until next year so am watching the primary schools thread with interested. We really want to get ours into Ivydale (being by far the nearest school and really like it) so will stick this as our top choice. I'd be interested in hearing from people that haven't got into Ivydale when it was their top choice and how far away they live. I know they've bulged for past two years so there might be lots of sibling places next year.

Many thanks

Ivydale bulged this year because there were so many siblings - more than the 2 classes they would normally take. So in a way, it may actually mean that a lot of the siblings hit this year and hence there aren't subsequent siblings (in many cases) to hit future years.

Last year's bulge was more of a classic increase to cope with demand, so it may have more effect through siblings in the next year or two.

So hard to say exactly but I suspect the effect won't be as much as if there were bulges in two years simply to mop up general demand.

That said, there are lots of kids in the area and Ivydale is an improving school, so even without bulge effects, I suspect the distance will get ever smaller.

This year was highly unusual, all 60 places initial places were taken up by siblings/social+medical need/looked after (looking at other similar sized schools in the area that would be around double the expected number). The decision was made to bulge in 2013 exactly because of this issue. The last place offered distance would have been zero without the bulge. Following issues with Nursery admissions in 2012,the school did a survey of all families with children at the school, from eldest to nursery. There were several multiple birth groups amongst the siblings and many families with youngest child in the 2013 cohort. It does not appear at all linked with the 2012 bulge. It is a popular school and yes there are going to be some siblings next year, but this year was an atypical one. The impact of the Haberdasher's Free school is unknown;in previous years some children have been coming from Lewisham borough to Ivydale. There are also other good schools nearby, eg Turnham, St Francesca Cabrini and Hollydale. The distance figures this year needs be thought of in terms of 30 children offered on distance.

Renata

Thank you Renata, is it possible to access data with regards to number of siblings in the comming years? A long shot I admit. I understand and appreciate that there are other great schools in the area, however not being able to send your child to the scho that you can see from your living room window is rather absurd:)

I appreciate your patience in answering all our questions.

Just crashing this thread (hope you don't mind) - also hoping for Ivydale. Renata, do you have access to information on how many children offered places at Ivydale were siblings? I heard it was 76! But this may have been chinese whispers.............................

Hi midivydale, this information isn't available, but the survey of current nursery to year 5 did show that the larger number of siblings was specific to this year. Hi no 2, there were 30 places allocated on distance. I would expect in a average year, this would be around what you would expect for a 2 form entry in the area.

Renata

Thanks Renata, I guess that is better than 14 places on distance which is what we first thought. I'm going on the assumption that new families are less likely to take their places than families who have one or more children already in the school. Clutching at straws perhaps................