High number on waiting list and still got in?

I would be interested from parents with kids in primary school what was the highest number on the waiting list and they still got into their chossen primary school - and when did it happen - before September or after

My first and second choices are 8th and 7th...

Just trying to calculate the probability !

I'm wondering this too and did just ask in the long thread running on school places but might not be seen. We're waiting at 41, 51 and 64 in Southwark. I'm not feeling at all positive with my positions, yours looks pretty good though!

Hi ABirney, there is unfortunately no magic formula. People move up the list if others who have been offered a place at the school eg if people move, go independent or take up a place from the waiting list at another school. You can move down too, if the ranking of children lower than yours change (eg if their sibling gets a place at the school or it is determined that they have a social/medical need) or if people move into the area closer to the school than where you live. Size of intake matters a lot, you have far greater chance to get in from 7/8th position to a 3 form entry school than a 1 form entry school. Gina, unfortunately, I don't think the waiting lists are likely to move as far as your position.

Waiting lists move right up to Xmas, as sometimes families move over summer and a place can come up in Autumn and parents above you on the waiting list may be happy where their child has started and turn down the place.

Renata

Farmer barley beat me to it, l am that neighbour! I wanted to post to say that we went up and down the waiting list for a whole year but we finally got a phone call out of the blue just before the Autumn half term offering us a place. Although my child was settled and in year 1 she made the school move easily with no problems. Since then l know of other kids who have moved schools in year one. It can be a waiting game but if you keep on lists hopefully you will get the school of your choice. Good luck!

kamath Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you don't get a school on your list and still

> don't get one on all the waiting lists do you stay

> on the waiting list for as long as it takes to get

> into a school. Does that make sense????

I believe so yes.

I heard that the waiting list 'goes to the school' after 31st August. I think you may have to re-list yourself on the waiting list with the school though after that time (after the school year begins)...I need to check that. But at the moment you accept your place for now (unless you have another option) but you automatically stay on the waiting list for all schools above yours and will be offered a place further up your list if one becomes available before 31st August. There's a lot of movement between now and August, as people might not need their place after all, or decide to go private, or homeschool, or accept an independent school place outside the system, and so free up the places that had been offered. Tben everyone moves up the waiting list, if you see what I mean.

I fear moving 40 places up the waiting list in our case is extremely unlikely, so am wondering now whether there is in fact some cosmic force at work which is pooh-poohing all of our six choices and opting for the faith school... Rather than just the council at work scrabbling around to find places that don't actually exist for local children.

Waiting lists are administered by schools from September onwards. Kamath, please apply for as many other schools near you. You child will need to start school the term after their 5th birthday. You don't apply for a year 1 place, after September, it's effectively an in year application for reception. Anna, you will stay on the waiting list for the schools you applied to. I agree with you, moving 40 places up a waiting list is unlikely.

Renata