John Donne and Edmund Waller - opinions please

Hi,

I've been reading with interest the thread about primary school applications.

We have been offered a place at John Donne, which we are indifferent about. We liked the school on viewing it but it was 4th on our list of 6. Our first choice was Edmund Waller.

I'm hoping we will be able to get on Wallers waiting list, although we are in Southwark so i'm not sure how this works.

Please can anyone give me any insight into both schools, likes/dislikes, reasons for or against.

Many thanks,

farmerbarley

Thanks Renata. I have called lewisham, they refer me to southwark to request that southwark admissions contact them (lewisham) to put my son on the waiting list at the schools in lewisham. I have emailed lewisham admissions too but haven't received a response. I'm just very concerned I'm going to miss the boat in getting on the waiting list.

Any further thoughts?

And thank you clux. I'm really keen on Waller, as I've said above, just worried I'm not even on the waiting list.

I am actually gutted not to have gotten into John Donne nursery and am worried now that I won't get into the school when the time comes in 2014. Can I ask what road you are on?

I've only visited the nursery, which I loved. The school has a great reputation though, as well as an outstanding ofsted!

We were all set for moving house to be closer to Ivydale or Fairlawn as our son is three at the moment. Then we did some research into John Donne (which is our nearest school) and discovered that it has some of the best results in Southwark! I stalked some parents at 3.30 one day and talked to three mums who were delighted with it. They said it was a teaching school for phonics (which means it is so good that it teaches other schools). As I said above I have only visited the nursery, which was lovely, but everything we have heard about John Donne (and house prices in the areas we were looking at!) made us decide not to move after all.