Bugaboo Bee Plus won't fold - any ideas?

Lula

We've had our Bugaboo Bee Plus for three years now, and it's been fantastic but just last week the oval white sliding mechanism on the right side of the handlebar of the buggy (ie not the one with the black button)seems to have broken. When I try to collapse it in the normal way, the oval sliding mechanism is just loose and doesn't engage. The left side seems to be alright. Has anyone had this problem before? I've tried emailing Bugaboo but had no answer so far. I am happy to buy a new part to fix it and the only available spare part that seems relevant is the handle bar locks but I am not sure this is the right part. Any advice gratefully received.

Go and see the bike shop on East Dulwich Road as they have a look at such things and see if they can fix them for you. They looked at my chameleon once, in the end I didnt need anything fixed as it was a user error but I know other people who have taken their buggies in there.

Thanks for both of those suggestions. I'll check them out. Bugaboo did get back to me and told me to take it to the shop where I bought it... But we bought it online from a shop up North, so not so easy. Seems like much less hassle to bite the bullet and pay someone to fix it. Cheers all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lula,

Do you mind me asking if you had any luck with repairing this fault. The exact sounding problem has happened to my (two and a half year-old) Bugaboo Bee. Although I am assuming an internal wire has snapped (I have taken the little panel off and can close the buggy manually), did you find out if a replacement wire can be found and/or fitted?

Thanks very much!

Hi OhNoGeorge,

Funny you posted today as I've just had a frustrating two weeks trying to sort it out and just today a woman from Bugaboo called me back - not good news.

Starting from two weeks ago,I called the bike shop on East Dulwich road. They were very sweet but explained that they've tried to fix this fault before and got into trouble and had to send it on. I then contacted Bugaboo to explain the situation. The girl there asked for my serial no and then said it was covered under warranty... I was surprised as it's over 3 years old. Not arguing with that we arranged to drop it off at Tommy's buggy shop in Peckham and they would pick it up from there. So far, so good. Then Bugaboo asked for a copy of our receipt of purchase, which Tommy's kindly passed on (very good of them considering we didn't actually buy it from them). Two weeks go by, when I end up borrowing two different buggies off friends and my other half calls Tommy's to find out what is happening, and it transpires that Bugaboo haven't even picked it up yet?!

Then they say, that it's not covered under warranty (two years only, apparently) and we need to buy a new chassis costing ?200!

I am really cross, as we've spent a lot of money on this buggy - got the cup holder, buggy board, sunshade, car seat adapters and they want another ?200!

I have been borrowing a McLaren Quest from a friend and I have to say I'm tempted to ditch the Bugaboo in protest, if it didn't cost us so much money.

Next step is to send it off to Buggy Pit Stop as while Bugaboo say it's unfixable, I think they may be able to... I will keep you posted.

As yours is just over two years old, I'd contact them and argue for them to replace the chassis at no extra charge. The woman I spoke to said that they would replace it if it was just over two years old.

Hi Lula,

Thanks for getting back to me - frustrating !! Why do faults always occur just after the warranty expires...?

Yes - it is the same side of the buggy - the right hand side - with a white-only lever.

The other annoying thing is that it seemed to happen when I was looking at another fault on the same buggy. My handle bar lock on that side had stopped working, so the handle only supported on the left side. I'd kind of ignored it as it didn't affect me using it, but yesterday I decided to have a look at the mechanism - moving the handle up and down a few times, when bingo - I couldn't collapse it at all.

I've been on the internet looking for solutions - and have also found the pit stop which you mention - but they don't at first glance seem to fix collapsing mechanism faults for the Bee. Arghhh.

Since my little girl is 2.5, I am almost buggy free - it's so annoying that it has happened now! Don't really want to spend loads more money on buggies now.

Let me know if Pit Stop sound positive. I'm sure if you can get into the aluminium bit, which seems to be riveted together, then it will be a simple wire or something.

Thanks again,

Oh - p.s. I can manage to collapse it myself by unscrewing the triangular cover at the juncton of the handlbars and the curved bar (not sure how to describe that area, but one of the few areas with a philips screw), and pushing the catch in by hand. Useful work around if the buggy is blocking up the hall!

Interesting, my handlebar locks went too. I replaced them with a new set from Bugaboo. We were one of the first to buy the Bee Plus - it was just released when our first was born. We also had the dodgy wheel problem. OhNoGeorge, we may not be the only ones... Time will tell. Will PM and post here you with result from buggy pit stop.

Look forward to hearing the news. Mine is still "bugg -aboo- ed". A neighbour has leant me a riveting kit, but I don't want to dismantle the buggy unless there is hope of fixing it. (Not even sure if I am up to it in any event.)

Thanks for the updates.

Hi OhNoGeorge,

The catch is broken, not the wire, and it's quite tricky as the frame has to be re-riveted not screwed shut. We will get it back either tomorrow or early next week. I'll let you know if all is well. Be worth giving Buggy Pitstop a call.

I have a spare chassis - a different problem with the handle bar. Would be happy to sell for a tenner for parts if anyone wants, I basically bullied John Lewis into bullying bugaboo into replacing it, as the handle bar lock stopped working. They did so even though it was out of warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Spooky - I literally just logged into the forum this minute to see if there was some info I'd missed.

Thanks for the update.

What was the damage (cost-wise, that is)? I assume the non-folding bugaboo now folds?

Did they fix it or did they have to replace the whole chassis?

My handlebar has now completely gone so drops down permanently. So i have that and the non-folding problem now :(

Thanks,

Hi there,

They replaced the catch which aids the folding mechanism. It was ?30 for part/s, ?30 for labour, and ?15 for couriers there and back. It does indeed now fold, and they didn't need to replace the chassis. We replaced the handlebar locks once (a separate problem that occurred before this one, although it could be linked? Who knows?) by getting the part from Bugaboo direct and that fixed the problem. I am not sure if Buggy Pit Stop can do that for you. Ring and ask - if not, visit the Bugaboo website and order some on there. You can fit those yourself, quite easily. Good luck!

• 4 years later...