Experiences of giving birth at St Thomas please (in partic special baby care unit)

Hi all

After a couple of extra scans at Kings (I'm now at 28wks, baby #2), I've been referred today to have the rest of my antenatal care and actual birth at St Thomas - my baby has a possible heart coarctation (heart abnormality) and Kings would rather I was at St Thomas where they have 24hr cardiac care available, that way they can monitor the baby as soon as its born and decide whether or not it needs surgery.

Still in a bit of shock about the news and trying to stay positive as I know they're just being really cautious, but I was just wondering if anyone on here has given birth at ST Thomas' recently and, more specifically, had their child stay for a short time (hopefully it will be no more than a week) in the special baby care unit there?

With my first born (at Kings) my little girl got an infection on the way out and we both ended up needing to stay in for a week which was pretty crappy all round, but at least I (or my husband) only had to take her up to special baby care once every 12 hours for her antibiotics... whereas this time round the baby will need to stay on the special baby care unit until either they've decided its not coarctation or they've decided it is and she's recovered from her surgery to fix the issue, either way could be up to a week longs stay.

I had really thought this time around it would be so much easier as I was at least familiar with Kings so things would be less scary and I could manage an exit strategy much more easily, but now I'm back to unfamiliar surroundings and of course the stress of potential heart surgery on a tiny baby :(

Anyway - if anyone has any experience of the special baby care unit at St Thomas and wouldn't mind sharing their experience I'd be really grateful (either by PM or reply). Any tips on surviving the unit and/or maternity ward there? (someone did say at least the food was a little better at St Thomas, lol).

Thanks!!

Hi

firstly sorry you got that news, must have been quite a blow for you. sending you a hug.

I have no experience of the special care unit there but I did have my baby there and I always also high risk and I have to say they were brilliant. I couldnt have asked for a better experience to be honest and any subsequent children (if im lucky) I will have there. Will you be under the care of the high risk midwives? If yes they really are lovely and they stay with you the whole time whilst you are in labour, even if they have to pee someone has to come in and relieve them.

On the post natal ward it was ok, night midwives as militant as I think they are anywhere but yes the food was yummy! Your partner cant stay overnight at Tommies with you which I think they can at Kings.

In summary I wouldnt worry about being at Tommies, I can totally see why you would want some familiarity at such a time but they really are very good there and will take care of you both very well I am sure. x

Hi I'm in a very similar situation to you I'm 33 weeks pregnant and at my 22 week scan they also picked up a heart defect. The defect my baby has though is called double outlet right ventricle so different to your baby's. I had three scans at Kings and was the referred to St. Thomas's my first appointment there was last week, I had a scan with an obstetrician and then a booking in midwife appointment, everyone there seems so friendly and supportive. I have a meeting with a cardiologist called Dr Owen Miller in two weeks time he will be the one looking after my baby so I'm very excited to meet him and hopefully get some more info.

My baby will be like yours placed in intensive care straight after birth, hopefully she won't need an operation until later on so will only be there for a few days maybe a week. The rest of her treatment will be at the Evelina children's hospital which is in St. Thomas's. There's a support group for parents of children with heart conditions who are being treated at the Evelina this is called Echo, they have a Facebook page which I have joined. I've found this incredibly helpful as I've been able to speak to people whose children have the same condition and were treated at the Evelina. They also do open days for parents expecting heart baby's. these open days are run by midwives they teach you the usual antenatal things and also show you around the hospital I'm going to the one on Saturday 18th May here's the link http://www.echo-evelina.org.uk/. Just know you're not alone and other people are going through the same thing, if you ever want to talk you're more than welcome to pm me x

A few years ago I had my son there. When he was 5 days old he was admitted to neonatal unit for jaundice. My husband and I had a room to sleep for two nights in the unit so that I can breast feed him throughout the time. The nurses were very competent and helped us (new parents) a lot.

My daughter was born at the home to home unit in the pool ( almost three years ago now) Was great. Staff super, after care amazing. Had to stay over night and was allowed to stay in the same room ( ie did not have to go to post natal unit) and partner was allowed to stay too in the room! With view over the Thames and the parliament! Really recommend the hospital!

Btw I am teaching pregnancy yoga if you are interested! Mondays 8-9.15pm ;)

All the best for the birth!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thankyou to each of you for taking the time to reply to this thread and I'll also reply back to each of the kind people that sent me PMs - it was so reassuring to hear from everyone and your well wishes and happy stories of st thomas' are massively appreciated!

We've now got a couple of antenatal appointments scheduled in at st thomas' starting next week, so i'll be able to direct all my specific questions at the doctors/midwives etc then. We also got a leaflet through about ECHO but I don't think we'll attend one of the antenatal days, because at the moment we just don't know whether our child will actually have the condition or not, so I feel like a bit of a fraud + i'm trying to keep telling myself that the baby will turn out healthy anyways... I guess we'll see how our first appointment goes and if we still have questions then attend an ECHO open day.

I'm over the shock of the scan now and although had a few upset moments over the last fortnight, i'm trying hard not to worry unnecessarily and this thread has really helped! I do think that nearer the time (i'm 30wks now and as its my second i'm not as prepared as I was the first time!) i'll start to get in a worry though - for example, i'm not sure how i'll manage to let the oxytocin/endorphins do their business during labour, when in the back of my mind all i'll be thinking about is how in a few days/hours i'll know whether my baby really is sick or not... I guess I need to work on some positive thoughts/breathing/reinforcements from my partner on that side of things.

thanks again for everyone's helpful words and positive thoughts! xxxx