Resusable nappies - honest feedback please

I'm considering using resuables for our first baby (due Sept) and have read lots from enthusiasts along with fully dismissive comments from people who've never tried them... My partner is sceptical but open to persuasion..

I just wondered if anyone could give me honest feedback about how they found/find them? eg did you expect to hate them but actually they're easy? Or vice versa? I'm keen to reduce environmental impact and cost of disposables but I'm worried about the bulkiness, fuss, whether grandparents / babysitters / childcare will change them easily, drying them without tumble dryer, etc... Also, with the cost, if I used disposables at night / on holiday / out and about etc surely we soon lose the cost benefit of part time reusables..?

In every other way with the baby I'm definitely keen to do whatever makes our life easier and stressfree (and so more enjoyable with the baby) so not sure if I'm crazy to consider this. Opinions welcome!

We used them more with first than second mainly cos we were living abroad, but having used them I am def keen to keep using them. We have had a few different kinds (as we kept being given them second hand) we have tried mother care own brand which we really liked but the bigger size weren't as effective as the small ones, we have had mother ease and fuzzi bunz the fuzzis are my Fav. I don't use them when we are out as I don't like the idea of carrying dirty nappies about with me, but at home they are used all the time.

In terms of extra work, it's just a load of washing every day-two days, so not a lot of work at all.

Everyone has their favourites and in my experience, different brands suit different babies better. You can get lots of good quality second hand on the natural mamas site if you wanted to try some without the big outlay that there can be with brand new.

For me the hard bit is drying, I don't want to use the tumble dryer as that seems to defeat the point, now that the weather is better, they can dry outside, ours dry v quickly, but it is something to think about.

You will save money by using them and you will save more if you use them with any other children. Also there's the big issue of fewer nappies in landfill.

I would say, get used to your new baby first, then try some out when baby is a few weeks old and you can deal with something extra, don't make it hard for yourself.

I've used them with 3 babies - from 10 months with my first, and birth with the other two. I had a period of a year where I had 2 kids in them.

I find them easy, much more reliable than disposables and no bother at all. I have my favourite brands, but they don't suit all babies. Of all the newborn ones I've used I found "Easy Peasy" nappies brilliant. I have enough that I only wash them every 2nd/3rd day, and we don't have a tumble drier - in winter I put the radiators to good use, and as soon as the sun shines I hang them outside.

I use one disposable a day, just for nighttime (have never tried nighttime reusables, but I think they are good if you find the right one for your baby).

Good luck.

I used them and found them really easy. We washed every 2-3 days. Nappies were stored in zippered wetbags which took up less space than a nappy bucket and could be flung in the washing machine with the nappies.

I've tried a wide range of brands from Bumgenius, Tots Bots, Itti Bitti, Wee Notions, etc.

I've used them for my first 2 children. My main motivation was cost saving, but also reducing landfill etc. I tried a few brands, and found that BumGenius pocket nappies worked the best for us. It was much less work than I expected, especially once you get into a routine. My parents, in-laws and nanny didn't have any trouble using them at all. It is an extra load of laundry every 2-3 days, but I found that I had fewer leaks than friends using disposables, so probably less clothes laundry than they did.

One disadvantage is that baby clothes aren't designed for the extra bulk of a cloth nappy on a chunky child, so I struggled to get trousers that would go over the nappy without being far too long. Also, vests tend to be a bit short to popper up underneath. You can get vest extenders, though.

Drying isn't a problem with micorfibre nappies, but I did struggle to get bamboo nappies dry overnight. Any type are fine to dry on a sunny day, though.

I'm planning to use the nappies again for my third child, but probably not from birth. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm expecting a very small baby and the nappies I have don't well until 8lbs. I am thinking of getting a few newborn cloth nappies for the first month or so.

I used them full time with my eldest. I mostly used the pocket type. Once you've got something that fits you baby well they can be very reliable

I then had a set of twins, I used them a bit the first 15 months but I struggled to keep up with the washing and drying etc. Also one of my twins was a skinny little titch and I couldn't get them to fit her right.

So they easily paid for themselves. I did love them but two wearing cloth nappies at the same time was a bit much!

I like using them too, pretty much agree with all the above. I started around 3 months I think.

I have enough that I only need to do 2 loads a week, which is key for me.

I definitely recommend wet bags over a nappy bucket, you can just chuck the bag in the wash.

My nursery is happy to use them too, I do supply a few disposables so they have the option (sometimes they put him in a disposable if they think he might do a poo). I also have lots of the same style which I always send in so they aren't having to remember how the different ones fasten up etc.

I use disposables at night and on holiday, but I use a planetwise wet/dry bag for day trips, I really recommend these for day trips and for nursery.

Overall I think it's a little bit more work but not much once you get going. I enjoy not having to empty the nappy bin so often and I am happier not producing so much waste, but my main motivation is the money saving!

I've used them for my two and had the same experience as others mention above, generally work well and not much more work. Definitely better than disposables at containing poo explosions. Between them my two went to 1 nursery and 2 childminders in cloth nappies - no-one ever batted an eyelid so I wouldn't worry too much about how childcare might be affected.

Also, and this is purely anecdotal, it is possible that children in cloth nappies are out of nappies sooner. My two were both in training pants from 20 mths and my daughter was completely dry from 27months. My son is 28mths currently and has an accident probably every other day so is getting there.

I spent a fortune on a birth to potty set when pregnant, then had a baby that threw up constantly, so never used them as I was constantly washing her clothes and mine! Small chance of same thing happening to you, but would recommend starting with a few and if it works for you then invest in more! (It's next to impossible to get any money back for them, even unused)

also used them with both and really recommend them. i used a disposable at night with my second, as otherwise you have to change nappies several times a night. used disposables if i was going to be out and about all day.

it's really worth getting a good brand. you can probably try some out from some eco-nappy organisation or maybe old ones from forumites? also worth getting enough so you don't have to wash every day.

give yourself the first month off, then go for it. you'll save loads and feel good too.

I used them for about 18 m with my son & they were great to begin with but found in the end ( a few months ago) that every time he pooed it was smearing onto the actual nappy, under the liner & I just couldn't hack scraping the poo off any more so have stopped temporally in the hope his poo firms up! I also found we had a lot of wee leakage/ damp trousers. We are going to potty train him this summer so will prob get him back in them to do that.

I've also got a newborn & will defo get the smaller ones out again tho.

I find washables less disgusting than disposables especially early on when they get changed so frequently.

In my mind every time we don't use a disposable that's got to be good...

I've used them since birth with my son. I use them at night too (well boosted), and when out and about (top them in a wet bag, any poo can be flushed. Many places don't have nappy bins so would end up carrying dirty nappies anyway). He's not in nursery but I did visit a couple when we were thinking about it and they were fine with the idea. Grandparents very supportive, would have been more unhappy if we used disposables! They were used to terry nappies and pins so think the modern ones are great!

I wash every 2 days, I do have a tumble dryer but hate to use it. I find I only need it at those times when it is rainy but warm (so you can't hang them out but don't need the radiators on).

I have a few different types for different uses (Tots Bots Bamboozle stretchies with a motherease wrap are my most reliable)

I thoroughly recommend www.thenappylady.co.uk for advice, she has a questionnaire you can fill in about your circumstances and she will advise you what would suit you.

But really, they aren't that hard and I think everything is new and different when you have a baby, I certainly didn't find them a hassle at all (having said that a supportive partner who is happy to put washes on and sort nappies in the early day really helped!)

Just a follow up from the getting money back point, I have found that selling on natural Mamas website is the place to try this, it seems you can get a good price for good condition second hand. I got some lovely fuzzis from there.

on the drying front, you might find one of these handy - I'm thinking of getting one to cover those days where it's too warm to put the heating on but the weather's not good enough for hanging outside (or if you don't have an outside to hang in).

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-Soon-3-Tier-Heated-Tower-Airer

(in answer to your question, I didn't use reusables, though I had planned to do so, partly through never getting myself organized and also, a bit ridiculously, because Miss Oi was so tiny and I knew reusables are bulky and I thought she'd look really silly swamped in a giant nappy. Feeble, I know . . .)

Wow thanks for all the feedback everyone! Think I shall go for a mix and match approach and see what works for us, and try to get a few second hand so I don't have to commit to loads of new nappies that might not be right for us.

The Nappy Lady was great and recommended Bambinex Teddies which are microfibre, and Charlie Banana, so if anyone's used any of these or has any second hand to offload please let me know

x

I used them - found that from around 3 months they fitted better! (small daughter with skinny legs, so used disposables until after 6 weeks, and then started with reusables)

I used fuzzy bunz, washed and dried quickly, and they had an inner absorband liner that went in.

From the outlay of the first nappies that I bought, I sold and bought more (second hand) - so would estimate that it cost around ?200. I think the council gives you some money towards these as well. I eventually donated them to a student who had just had a baby, so there worth has not ended!

I used disposables at night, and sometimes when we travelled, but would say that in the end I used them 80 - 85% of the time.

I also used resuable wipes, these would get washed with the nappies, and i mainly used disposable wipes when out and about. I loved my resuable wipes!

A good waterproof bag is essentail for throwing re-usables when you are out and about and want to change so that there is no leakage. When my duaghter started nursery we continued with the re-usables and just provided a small plastic container to throw them in so we could take them home every day.

They were really easy to use, felt complicated to start, but once you get the hang of it (and the names of what the nappies are and what they do) really simple.

Washing was easy

I learnt that sunlight (hanging out when possible got rid of most stains)

I would certianly look at buying second hand, as they will have hardly been used for the first six months.

Good luck.

I concur with all of the above!

I never had a poo leak from a cloth nappy, only disposable ones.

You have to be organised though. And if they leak wee put more absorbency in (took me a while to twig that one!)

My mum kept putting them on backwards which was quite amusing. When my son went to nursery he went in disposables, turned out she often puts them on the wrong way round too!

Been following this thread with interest as expecting second soon and had picked out leaflet on reusable nappies at my surgery. Lewisham has a push on at the moment and has been hosting nappy natters. Will go to the next one but there is also a website www.realnappiesforlondon.org.uk so obviously a London initiative rather than individual boroughs. They seem to be offering a ?25 voucher to get you started. Anyway my reasoning was just guilt at the amount of disposables I sent to landfill first time round, so thought I would at least investigate this. Said it to my mother last week and she thought I was insane having used cloth nappies for 3 in the seventies. Usually I ignore most of what she says though.

I've heard that it is easier to potty train as well as kids with reusables feel wet and start to recognise it - whereas with disposable they still feel dry. not sure if true or not, but an added advantage if so!

as you can see from this thread, if you have used them and they worked for you, you can get quite evangelical...

Love our cloth. Much easier than I expected.

I have microfibres bambinex I could sell you pretty cheap.

We have 1 Charlie banana and really like it.

With regard to re-selling. The good makes really hold their value. There are a few preloved cloth nappy selling pages. I sold on some of our newborn stash for not much less than I paid.

If you're interested in the microfibres PM me. I'm away this w/e but can then look into what I have.

Sorry to hi jack but have Tots Bots Bamboozles in size 1 and birth to potty should anyone wish to buy and try. Have about 20 or so of each plus liners and a few wraps - shout if you'd like to get any, seem to retail between ?8 and ?10 depending on which site you use, I'm thinking ?4 each - any takers! :)

I used a nappy laundry service, they delivered and took away. All the eco advantage and none of the hassle. They own the nappies and you hire them. You keep them in a lidded bin for the week till they come and take them away and give you more.

Another cloth fan here. Not as much hassle as I thought it might have been and you have all the benefits of cost saving over the long term (even more so if you have more than one child) no landfill etc. I especially like the fact that I don't have to worry about running out of nappies.

We used them pretty much from birth when he was about two weeks old. We had already bought our stash before our son arrived precisely so we could get going with it straight away. We use bumgenius pockets and all in ones for during the day and tots bots bamboozles with a wrap and booster at night. Got advise from the nappy lady as to which ones would suit us.