very nasty cough - 3/4 month old???

Hello

My 4 month old has had a horrible cough for going on two months now

He coughs like an old man, then retches and vomits up his feed (if he has just eaten)

It can happen after feeds or just randomly, day and night

Its really distressing. He's my second baby and I'm definitely not being neurotic. Our nanny said that the cough 'scares her'.

Been to the doctors twice now. Then went again this monday and was meant to be referred to paediatrician but still not heard from them (usual melbourne grove cr@p) and its friday!

Its definitely not infection cos he's happy (when he's not coughing)

Any ideas? I'm really scared its asthma... We have no family history

I had whooping cough vaccine when preg and he's had all his vaccines

Assuming it can't by cystic fibrosis cos he's been tested?

yes I have cats... hopefully not that otherwise i'll feel terrible

fushcia - great idea re a&e - will try that

most ppl are saying reflux - seems to be getting worse with age rather than better though

Hi,

I'm really worried it's an infection

His lungs sound like they are full of gunk

He sounds like an old man with a full-on smoking habit

He doesn't have a temperature though

But yesterday he coughed up green stuff..

I'm v worried

Haven't gone to a&e cos I'm on my own w a three yr old boy who would not last 5 mins in there

My 4 month old was breastfed exclusively for 6 weeks then mix fed

Still not heard back from gp about the referral

I wouldn't put it off any longer Saila, tske him to A&E or Seldoc in the morning. I'd be happy to entertain your 3 year old for you, my older two (6 and 4.8) are great with younger kids, and hubby is around too. One extra honestly wouldn't be a bother for us.

P x

When she was 9 days old, my daughter was in hospital for 2 weeks with Bronchiolitis and Pneumonia. If there is a serious lung infection they look for signs of respiratory distress eg sucking in the trachea or diaphragm or head bobbing. Coughing up gunk was seen by my daughters doctors as a good thing.

If you're concerned there really is no substitute for taking him to Paediatric A&E. There are basic checks that they can do which might really ease your mind (oxygen saturation levels, heart rate and respiratory rate and listening with a stethoscope).

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice

You're right

Its gone too far

Had another awful night... Exhausted!

Will go to a&e now

Ps thnx for the offer of help pickle. Really kind. I'm going to bring a dvd player and hope for the best! My son is ome of those kids that climbs the walls of anywhere after about 30mins...

I'm pleased you have a diagnosis, but it's a shame not much can be done to help, poor little thing.

Did your 3 year old enjoy his A&E experience? I remember the play area being quite good, and hopefully it wasn't too busy on a Sunday morning.

Oh poor thing. Hope he gets better soon. The RSV virus is such a pig for them to shift. It took my daughter a good 4-6 weeks to fully recover. Such bad luck too - for him to get it outside of the season for it.

If in doubt about his breathing again, definitely take him back to A&E. I took my daughter back 2 or 3 times after she was discharged. Each time, staff were really understanding. GP not so good as they don't have the equipment to assess it and tend to refer you on to the hospital.

You have my sympathy - I had an energetic pre schooler to contend with too.

Best wishes.

Thank you

My 3 yr old was testing.... But I was expecting that

We were on our own from 7 to 8am in the department, so seen straight away and did nt have to stress too much with the toddler

Although he did start pointing through to the hospital saying he could see a dead person.... I've never even heard him say 'dead' before and there wasn't anyone there! Creepy.

The nurses helped distract him which was kind

The receptionist was terrible though. Totally unfriendly and brash... Oh well. Otherwise we were treated very well. Amazing we've not been before, considering my 3 yr old...

Thnx again

thank you - he's doing ok - poor thing

- he's such an adorable baby. Coughs as though he's dying and then manages to crack a smile when it's finally over.

I do feel helpless as there's no medication

Heartbreaking really

No mess, but you can try the plug in karvol or calpol which can help a little, or maybe a humidifier as well to keep the air in baby's bedroom nice and moist so less irritating on little lungs. Perhaps raise top of mattress where baby sleeps slightly (roll up a towel and place underneath mattress) to make it a bit easier to breathe? Maybe run the shower and let baby breathe in some steam? The above may not touch it but may offer a little relief, or make you feel like you can do something at least. Poor tot, mine had a cough from 2weeks-5weeks and I found it awful to listen to. Hope baby is better soon.

You could also try the old trick of Vaporub on the soles of the feet, inside the sleepsuit. This seemed to work really well when my son was small, as well as propping up the end of the cot with some thick books to help drain the mucous away. He's 2 now and when he has a cold I still put vaporub on his feet. He asks for it and holds up his toes in expectation while I'm putting him in his sleeping bag!

p.s. I *still* haven't had a referral from Melbourne Grove to see a paediatrician... the gp appointment waslast Monday morning. Considering it's a chest infection and he's 4 months old, I find that quite shocking... anyway

Good thing I went to A&E !

they don't seem to sell karvol vaporisers (plug-ins) anymore... discontinued!!

- which has caused a bit of a stink when you search online. Not sure why they've discontinued them if they were so sort after.

oh well

I have the rub on stuff for now

Boo! They were great!! Looks like they were a victim of their own success? http://motherem.com/2013/01/28/an-alternative-to-the-karvol-vaporiser-now-discontinued/.

Boots own vaporiser as an alternative? Haven't tried it.

You could also soak some cotton balls in Karvol, Olbas, etc and put them in an old (clean!) sock. Stitch or tape it to the front of a small desk fan in your child's room. Same essential effect, slightly dodgy appearance. ;-)