Mum Prejudice at Anderson's Cafe

I go to Anderson's on Bellenden rd. about once a week because I like their coffee and they have a nice little garden. I like to get out with my babies and Anderson's is on the way to some of the places we go to. I don't feel that being a mother means I should be hidden away indoors like a leper. However, I will never go back to Anderson's again because I have finally tired of their surly, sullen, smug staff that sneer at me and my babies, even though I am extremely polite, tidy and conscious of my babies interactions in the cafe. And their 'handysit' high chairs suck too.

i agree ...

when i'm with my kids i just go to the cafe on choumert road (very kid friendly)

and then without kids, i go to andersons

i quite like that it's a non-kid environment (which it is)

it's nice to have options - then when ppl want a break from kids (espcially their own!) they can have it..

They've always been nice to me and my two. I've never felt unwanted there. Mind you, my husband says that I am the only person who thinks the service at WongKei (a notorious restaurant in Chinatown) is fine - speedy and efficient, what more do you want??

It's an odd mixture: I've always found the younger staff to be really friendly and helpful when with kid or without. The owner seems to prefer not having kids there as she tuts at the slightest thing, e.g. a small spill of drink on its saucer (not the table or elsewhere) caused a lot of eye rolling - I only observed it & made my mind up not to bother coming back with LO. But then the tone of the various signs around also don't make adults feel very welcomed (e. g. 'this is NOT a door', 'feel free you're our Wi-Fi but not our power' and a few more.... ). Shame, because great cakes and croissants, but even without LO I just pop down to Cafe Viva on Choumert road

• 4 months later...

Anderson's is my local cafe and I haven't been in since the owner, not knowing that we were sitting 2 feet away from her, ranted at one of the waitresses that I would have to wait for my sandwich because didn't we know she [the owner] was busy, and that my husband was 'only to be given a teaspoon's worth' of tomato ketchup to go with his sausage roll. Pre-this I went in a few times whilst on mat leave and was always left with the feeling that my pram was quite the inconvenience.

New favourite is Aneto (sp?) on the old Locale site. Further away, but nice food, friendly staff and next to Goose Green playground for my toddler to run around pre/post breakfast or lunch.

I agree too re. Andersons. I have been a handful of times with my baby and the young staff have always been correcr but certainly not friendly / welcoming. The older lady that manages it has a very abrupt and uptight manner, makes me feel very uncomfortable, so I have stopped going there too. It is a shame because it is a lovely place but why go there if they can't even be bothered to be nice? The only other time I can ever remember feeling so uncomfortable was years ago at Le Chandelier (pre kids) and I am actually wondering if this might be the same lady!

Edited to add yes Aneto much nicer!

I went in there a while back with my 3 year old to get some bread. After choosing the bread went to counter and stood ..... and stood ... (no one else was waiting to be served) eventually one of the younger staff members approached and then started to slowly clean the coffee machine not even pretending to ignore me, but looking straight at me. I waited for some time for her to ask if she could help me but after standing at the counter for possibly 10 minutes in total, I put the bread back and left.

While all this waiting was going on, my little boy was starting to get a bit bored and inquisitive. I would not take him in the caf? to sit down as I know it would be unfair on those trying to enjoy a relaxing meal / drink. However, it does operate as a shop as well and there would not have been an issue if I hadn't had to wait.

This was the worst time, but had similar treatment on other occasions. Don't know if was because I was with small children.

The service is bad.... Though having eaten their award winning sandwich, the award is deserved. Also, in my experience they don't discriminate against parents and children. They seem fairly equally rude to all. Desperately wanted it to be better but no.

If around Bellenden, stick to the steady, friendly Petitou or Cafe Viva - much better service and they are genuinely pleasant

JulieP i had the same experience as you, but without children as JDR says.

I popped in one day, no child, no pram, just me on my own looking forward to having a coffee and cake ... I tried to order a coffee, waited at the counter whilst the guy behind the counter was doing some counting up of receipts (fair enough), ignored me though for about 5 minutes (no acknowledging my presence with a smile or anything like that), and then when he had finsihed adding up his receipts, turned his back on me and walked into the kitchen! I walked straight out and have not been back since!