Choice of Pre-school in regards to Primary School entry

Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked before, though couldn't find it on a search, but is it true that the pre-school your child goes to has no bearing what so ever on the primary school you would like them to go to? I am thinking of a different preschool to the primary I would pick as I think it has a better rating and is offering my preferred morning session, but then am worried it would then lower the chances for the other school at primary stage. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Yes there is no connection between pre-school attendance and primary school in the state sector. Children in pre-schools / nurseries at primary schools do not get preferential treatment over others applying from other pre-schools / nurseries. Neither do you have commitment to staying in the same environment.

That's hard to say, as I don't think anyone will have first hand experience of both. My kids went to Goodrich nursery, it was a lovely environment and prepared them really well for the move to reception.

Thank you, I'm struggling too with the fact that one has offered me a morning which I wanted but the other one won't be letting me know until after the first one's deadline if I have a morning. I'm thinking mornings are a better slot, but maybe afternoons are ok. What do you think? I think the same preschool and primary if possible is preferable but primary I am guessing is all a bit of a lottery.

Accept the one you've been offered and then make the decision again depending on what the other offers....you can always turn down a place at a later date. Gives you more time to think about which you prefer too. Am or pm depends on your child's day structure. I prefer morning because that's when mine has most energy but others prefer getting up more slowly knowing their kids will be busy in the afternoon.

My daughter goes to Heber nursery and loves it - we loved it from the moment we went for a tour. I chose it based on the niceness of the ladies! But I also had a look around Goodrich and that seemed nice, with more space to roam about. Not much help, eh?

She does afternoons, and one thing I noticed when she started was how much it tired her out so if we did an activity in the morning, too, it was a bit much for her. So if did get afternoons, you can hang around the house and get things done in the morning, then have an early lunch and then time for yourself (siblings permitting).

As there's no connection between nursery and school admissions, bear in mind how small the catchment areas are for Heber (about 250 metres) and Goodrich (about 450). I'm a bit sad that she didn't get into Heber, but I figure after six long weeks of summer holiday she'll be less attached to it and I can just make the fact that she's moving on to another school exciting. I'd be interested to know how anyone else dealt with this though, as they're still so young to settle in a new place at just over four...

Have you visited both schools? I'm in a similar position but in Forest Hill - have accepted places at Kilmorie and Dalmain but not 100% sure which I'll pick yet; at the moment Kilmorie seems front runner as, like verds says, have looked at catchments and much more likely to get into Kilmorie. I also prefer the school ethos at Kilmorie and nursery space despite it being less popular locally (both popular but Dalmain is more established). I'm going to make a final visit to Dalmain as already made two long visits to Kilmorie - one of which was a gloriously sunny day - versus quick rainy trip to Dalmain. Hope that helps - just how I'm making my mind up. The am/pm thing I think you'd just end up working with - I've asked for mornings but can see benefits to both.

Thank you everyone for your responses, really good to get some advice. I think I will do what you said Cora and then see if I get mornings at the other one. The more I think about it the more I think mornings are better for us too as my little one has more energy then and I like getting out the house first thing. Also as much as I would like to have the same preschool and primary it does seem that you have no way of knowing if you are going to get the primary even when you live close. It was never this stressful when we were kids!!