School fees - what are the hidden extras?

We are currently thinking about whether we might be able to afford private education when my son starts school next year. While I absolutely do not want to cause a debate on the relative merits of private vs state education, I'd be really interested to know what extra costs we should realistically factor in, besides the fees themselves, uniforms, and obviously holiday childcare. Would we find ourselves feeling under constant pressure to pay for school trips, extracurricular activities, argh - even private tutors when they approach secondary school applications?? What sort of rough percentage of the fees do parents end up paying on top for things like this? The schools I am thinking about are Rosemead, Oakfield and then later on St Dunstans or Alleyns.

Any experience people feel happy to share would be very gratefully received, either here or in a PM. My husband and I went to state schools so no first hand experience of this!

Yes there are lots of hidden extras, uniforms have to be bought from special shops not Sainsburys! Sports stuff the same, longer holidays, school trips, equipment, a friend whose child recently started at private school (age 7 tho) has been shelling out hundreds of pounds on various sports wear & uniforms. It all depends on your circumstances & also where you live - my personal opinion is that the state primary school standard in the surrounding areas is so good that I wouldn't see the need (even if I could afford it which I couldn't) to privately educate at primary level.

Hi

Mine are at rosemead.

Hidden costs: school trips. Up to the last penny it will be added

to the bill. You have to provide packed lunch then, but the missed lunch won't be deducted though.

Something l never understood.

Anyway: mostnof the uniform we buy second hand, white shirts from m&s.

Haven't bought any additional sport equipment yet.

Costs of clubs vary:

Run by stuff really affordable, ?10-15 per term roughly.

Run by external teacher, round ?80.

So you can decide. But you'll have to ask for it, they are mostly not on display.

Hope that helps.

My son is only in reception so we haven't really come across the "hidden costs" yet but I just wanted to say that we buy his trousers, shorts and PE kit basics from Sainsburys/m&s. From the school we have bought his shirt and jumper (and when he's a bit older his tie and jacket but that's a while away yet).

I'm unsure Smiler as to why you think birthday parties would be any more expensive if they were at private school or not??? Sure some people like to spend money on kids parties but you don't have to. This year my husband and 2 of his friends will be entertaining our son and his class in the park with lots of sports - the only cost being the food!!! Cheap as chips and the kids will have a ball.

re childcare - obviously having more holidays will entail higher childcare costs unfortunately. A lot of my sons friends have childminders, nanny's or use the before and after school clubs (I'm not sure of the costs of the school childcare but obviously childminders and nanny's will be the same if at state or private). In the holidays they seem to split between childminders/nannys and holiday camps.

Sorry I can't be of any more help but I'm seeing a friend tomorrow with kids further up the school so I will ask her about more costs as they get older.

Good luck with your decision

• 3 weeks later...

My son is at Alleyn's Junior. we get most of the uniform from the school-run second hand. All school trips are included in the fees. ( yes even residentials) Most clubs are also included, the ones that aren't are the ones where they get an external teacher to come in. (Ballet, taekwondo) Music lessons are also included, they all learn strings from year 2. School dinners also included.

Extra long hols would incur extra childcare costs no doubt, but you do save on your own holiday cos you can go in shoulder season rather than peak!!