Don't want your school place? Please let the LA or school know!

Hi, spurred on by the school admissions thread, I'm going to make a plea.

If you have a state school place that you have no intention of using because you have a place at a private/independent school, free school, will definitely be moving out of the area or for any other reason PLEASE let the school or the LA know of your intentions. If you really have a good reason for holding onto the place - e.g. You're not sure, your job hangs in the balance and you're not sure whether you'll be able to afford the fees, you're waiting for the Judith Kerr school to sort themselves out, whatever, fair play to you. However, if you just haven't got around to it PLEASE let the relevant people know. There are people out there who have no choice, not one of their 6 choices (and I have to say I am not one of them although we haven't got our first choice) and you making the effort could make a massive difference to them and their child.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Just bumping this up again. Sadly I still know of people (admittedly only by hearsay) that haven't bothered to let Southwark/Lewisham/Lambeth know that they don't want their school place. I have to admit that this thread is certainly partially self interested as I know of 3 people who have places at our 1st choice school who have no intention of using the place but haven't informed the LA. Please, have a heart people! (Ps I know this is not everyone, just a few slightly thoughtless people)

I just wanted to say that I've been trying to let school and local authority know that I didn't want my school place(lucky enough to be offered 1st choice from CAF, and also got a place we wanted from school outside the system)but no one will listen! I know that loads of people are desperate to move up lists, so was keen to let them know, but only this week received a letter from school I thought I'd turned down to say what class my daughter is in etc! I've Let all relevant people know again that I'm not taking the place, I hope they will listen. but worry that they just wait till people don't show up in September before offering out? Any way, if a lot of people are having the same experience as me then maybe there will be more movement to come as LA's finally figure out who want what. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for that j&m. I know someone else who is in the same situation as you are. Southwark really need to get their act together, as do the schools, as they'll be scrabbling about trying to fill places in September. I know this happens a lot, but perhaps if they sorted themselves out it wouldn't be so nerve-wracking for all the parents and potentially disruptive for children. Grrrrr!

Hi J&M and Number 2, I shall let admissions know. I think their act is very much together! I think they are erring on the side of caution of not re-offering out places unless parents have proven they are definitely going elsewhere.

(Number 2, I've heard the school you have been offered got really good SATs results.)

Thanks for that Renata, it's just very, very frustrating when you talk to someone who has told admissions that she doesn't want a place, has told the school that she doesn't want a place and that she is still, 3 months down the line getting letters telling her who her child's teacher is going to be from the school that she's turned down. It's just not just j&m, another friend of mine has had the same problem, and I'm sure there are plenty of others. I know they have a difficult job but it's also heartbreaking being in this situation. It doesn't help when you email admissions with an enquiry and they don't get back to you. Sorry, I'm just really fed up with the whole thing.

So that is a possible 4 people who don't want their space at Ivydale. A space that we desperately want, and actually might have been able to have by now if Southwark would listen! Surely once a parent has put this down in writing, made it clear that they don't want the space, it's their look out if they then change their mind and the LA are absolved of any blame.

I've emailed again today but still heard nothing back from admissions........

I'm also panicking that they might not have my mobile number if something amazing happens in August and have asked for them to confirm which number they have for me. We're away for a couple of weeks and I'd hate to miss a call and be wiped from the list (don't know how that works - how many different avenues they have to use to contact parents before they go to the next person on the list).

Gahh!!! Fed up!!!

If you don't want your place you must also provide evidence to show you have a place somewhere else. The local authority have a duty to provide you with a school place unless you show them you will educate your child at home or at another setting. Lots of parents turn down places at first and then change their minds if they don't get another school place. Maybe send a copy of your other offer with the school place refusal.

Renata, out of interest, why is that? I thought the reception year was optional, so presumably (though I know in this country it's unusual) if you choose to keep your child out of any education until Year One, you are perfectly entitled to do so? Is it simply to ensure that if a parent does want their child in education at this age, that they have made some provision to do so?

Last year I rejected my offer in place of a private place. I wrote to the council and followed up with a phone call. I then got a letter from the school two months later with my sons class teacher etc. I called and wrote to thecouncil again. A week into the term the school was leaving me messages wondering where my son was. I explained to the school what happened, sent them a letter in writing,along with another email and call to the council. This was to a sought after school that many people were on the waiting list for. I felt badly but I had tried everything to opt outofthe place.

Hi nymon, was that at a Southwark primary? Oimissus, reception is not optional. Children must start school at the start of term after their fifth birthday, for summer birthday children, this means Easter. There are typically 1-2 children in an average sized primary cohort who don't appear in September, this is usually due to people moving away rather than going private.

Renata

I did not know I had to send proof of a new school place, no one in Southwark or Lewisham has asked for proof. Both councils were aware of my two offers and when I chased it up recently Southwark told me there was no reason why the school I'm turning down shouldn't know I'm not coming. Maybe the confusion lies in the fact I am dealing with two LA's?! I live in Southwark but schools are in Lewisham. Its really silly that they don't make this more clear! Will phone and check again tomorrow, incase someone is waiting for proof of my school place.

Renata, apart from people not knowing about providing proof, can you explain what happens in January (term after 5 years). How do the council suddenly find places (if you haven't moved up waiting lists by then) and are these places going to be miles away and at any school ie faith.

Abney I think you get the place that you were offered for September but you just defer it until the January. There may be places due to people not having turned up in September or moving away (this happened in the school I work in which is a well thought of school, and we still had places left in January) but there won't suddenly be more spaces made available in January, just the same spaces that were left in September that haven't been filled. Does that make sense? I'm pretty sure that's right.