Toddlers and newborns... What groups work?

I have a lively 20mo (ds1) and a 6 week old (ds2), on Wednesdays have them both all day and would like to get out and about. I originally thought would just head to the local play park but ds1 still really needs help with climbing frames, slides etc and isn't happy in a swing for more than a couple of pushes...

So... What groups/activities have you found work for 2 young ones? I plan to use a sling for ds2 when out but he is a bit variable in how content he is in it and ds1 starting to get crazy jealous and trying to hit both myself and baby when I'm carrying him...

Any advice on managing the whole situation also gratefully received!

I found the Cheeky Cs playgroup was great when my daughter was newborn and my son was 2 - it was small enough that he could run around and play without me losing him, and I could easily feed the baby / play with her while still keeping an eye on everything! Not sure which days of the week it runs though.

I also found Hummy Mummies worked well with them both (and still does) - if you enjoy singing, it's worth trying that too.

Good luck!

There's a nice playgroup in the Honor Oak Baptist Church (Forest Hill Road, across the road and slightly further up than the Co-Op/Herne Tavern) on Wednesday mornings, 9:45 - 11:30am. A nice big space with lots of toys and completely contained for your toddler. Lots of nice Mums and childminders go along, plenty who would love the chance of a cuddle with a little baby if you need some time with your toddler!

We go to Chatsworth playgroup on a Wed in West Dulwich/west norwood. great big hall with loads of ride-ons and other toys, plus a separate room for painting, playdough, puzzles etc. Much easier to be at a playgroup with a toddler and a baby as your toddler is contained and entertained, and there's always another pair of hands if you need help!

http://www.chatsworthbaptist.org.uk/weekdaychildrensactivities.htm

The IVYDALE childrens centre run lovely grops. There is a baby one on a Wednesday afternono which is normally very busy and may not be much fun for a toddler but there is a Friday pm group which is great fun for the toddlers and not so busy. There is a lovely baby corner, with bouncers and soft toys etc and plenty of room to bf whilst still keeping an eye on toddler.

The staff are wonderful too and happy to lend a hand.

I may go with I on Friday actually, so would be lovely to see you there.

X

Scallywags is brilliant! It's on Tuesday mornings during term time from 10am-11.30am and it meets at the scout hut by Dulwich golf course. It only costs ?1 and it's run by Grace Church Dulwich. The people are really friendly and there's real coffee and homemade cake with water and biscuits for the kids. There's a baby corner, lots of free play with clean toys and some craft activities. There's a short bible story and lots of singing too during the last 15mins. It's the highlight of my little boy's week.

I second Whippersnappers. My children both loved it as babies and toddlers. We went to Brockwell Park Lido, then the one at Dulwich Park, both great!

My daughter went to a Whippersnappers party today for 6 year olds, they also loved it!

Diddi Dance was also good as you can dance with baby in a sling or they can just sit with you and enjoy the music.

Am not in ED but at this stage liked playgroups run by childrens centres or churches, lots of nice women sho would cuddle babies and watch manic toddlers! Wherever we were I made a beeline for anyone with similar-aged children and brazenly asked if they wanted to meet up, sometimes playing at each other's houses.

Something where I am now that was great was a leisure centre that does toddler mornings in its sports hall, bouncy castle, ride-ons, slides, hoops and things, just one big room with just one entrance and exit, and nice staff. safe for toddlers, could easily feed the baby while eldest ran around. And there was even a cheap cafe for lunch after. Bloody marvellous.

Playgrounds at that stage were hellish!