Dulwich Hamlet Junior - walking to school

Hi I heard from a few colleagues that some schools have policies that prevent pupils walking to school or home on their own.

Do you know if Dulwich Hamlet Junior school or other schools in the ED area discourage children walking on their own?

Also how old would your child have to be/was your child before you let them walk to school on their own?

Don't know about the Hamlet but Heber requires you to sign a form to say that a child can leave on their own from Yr 5. I don't think there are any rules on what age they can go to school on their own as I would think that legally they are their parent's responsibility at that end of the day.

AFAIK Dulwich Hamlet does not have a min age policy. Worth checking on the website or call the school?

As to how old, depends on distance, maturity of child, any tricky crossings to negotiate etc Rule of thumb is end of Yr 5 - Yr 6. You should definitely make sure that your child has plenty of practice walking on their own before starting secondary school.

Children in year 3 & 4 re released into the care of a parent/carer. The teacher likes to physically eyeball you as you collect your child - or maybe that's just us ;)

Our eldest walked to & fro with friends from summer term year 5. Our others from the start of year 5. Our current year 4 boy is most put out that he has to wait until year 5 to be allowed to do it.