Does a sofa exist that can handle kids and cats and not be ugly???

Suggestions PLEASE. We are doing some work on the house and will need a new sofa for the new lounge area. We bought a lovely fabric covered sofa from sofa.com two years ago and it now looks about 20 years old. Combination of two small children (food, pen, snot) and two cats (scratching, rubbing, annoying). I was thinking of just getting rid of the kids and the cats but my husband won't let me. We've been toying with the idea of a leather sofa but I find it very difficult to find one that is at the same time attractive/comfy/reasonably priced.

Any ideas? Has anyone found the "ultimate" family sofa and want to share the secret? Top budget is ?1000 but would be very happy to spend less.

Thanks!

I share your pain! Two that are working well for us: The Ikea Karlstad sofa in the Sivik Dark Grey color. I'm assuming they still do it. It is like a dark grey denim almost (hard to describe) but it copes very well with both kids and cats. You can buy two covers and switch if you want to wash them (just wash in the machine at home). We've had other covers for this same sofa but this one has been by far the best.

The other sofa we have is a leather one from Darlings of Chelsea in an aged leather. The fact that the leather is aged means that cat scratch marks don't show as much and stains sort of blend in. We've had this one for 7 years or so - it has had serious abuse including a major pen disaster by my eldest son when he was two. I was able to use a leather cleaning and recolouring product (kind of like shoe polish) to mostly bring it back from that disaster. It does look aged and beaten up, so if you want something pristine this is probably not a good choice but it is very sturdy and comfortable and has lasted well.

Sofas are a nightmare! I'm happy now though, finally. I knew the secret all along but was just awaiting the opportunity. We have a Habitat Escalus (look it up on google images). Habitat stopped selling it a good while ago, maybe over 6 years ago now. I recently bought mine on eBay from someone in Brockley, honestly I don't think they had ever even sat on it, I felt like a thief getting it so cheap. They are now iconic sofas and sell for upwards of ?250 second hand (original RRP was ?900) but they are well worth the money.

My mum has had hers for 12 years, bought ex display from a habitat store its been through 3 children/teenagers at home, 2 dogs, cats, various wine spills, parties, scuffs, moving it around and still looks great. My dad has one at his house also 12 years old and still holding its shape despite being moved a lot and being in a house with animals and young children. Mine is surviving my 4 year old, spilling milk and yogurt on it which my previous one didn't she climbs over it, jumps on it, dives on it. Nothing to report. Mine must be at least 6 or more years old, I honestly cant remember the year they became discontinued.

Everyone loves it, and its such a lovely design modern but retro at the same time. Fits in with my modern with a touch of 60s quirk living room nicely. Want another one but I don't think we can fit two in here. Might opt for a chair aswell.