Potty training / withholding

My son was really not keen on the idea of potty training. He got very upset at the meres suggestion. Nursery kind of forced my hand to potty train him at 2y +8m. He had two days of many accidents and then within less than a week he was dry, in big boy pants etc.

So far, so good. Recently however he started becoming very upset when sitting on the potty. He has been very ill with high fever since Sunday (a virus - no other symptoms) and I have noticed he now holds on to wees (and poos) for hours on end and when he eventually goes he gets very upset.

Not sure what caused this as previously he was quite proud of himself. Am getting concerned and not sure how to reverse this. He doesnt pee in his nappy (only worn during the night) either.

Has he seen a doctor? Could he have a UTI? That could cause fever, withholding and constipation. Although less common in boys they do still happen. I've been through it all with my daughter for several years and learnt to recognise the symptoms fast with her. She used to withhold urine for up to 15 hours at a time.

We did all sorts with my daughter to try and help her. There was a silly app on the iPhone/iPad if you can use that, about doing a wee. It was a game/interactive story that she really enjoyed and helped her relate to he need to not withhold. Will he go on the toilet instead of the potty? Or have you tried that too?

Hi,

We had this problem recently with my 2.7 year old, I resurrected this thread here

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,420917

I took it as a sign that she wasn't ready for the potty training despite doing really well the first couple of days. We put her back in nappies and she was still witholding even with nappy on for the first few days. I explained to her that everyone does wee's "mummy does wee's, daddy does wee's etc" and this seemed to help. She's back to going in her nappy but still refuses to get in the bath, I'm guessing she used to wee in the bath quite a lot and is scared of it now... We've been giving her a shower until she's forgotten all about it and will resume training in a month or so I think.

Hi there,

I had this with my daughter. emza78, i was the one who originally posted on that old thread, i'm sorry i didn't see that you had resurrected it. My daughter was the same, she would hold it in all day and just seemed to have a fear of using the potty. She would happily sit on it but just didn't release. We put her back into nappies and she would still be afraid to have a wee with her nappy on. After a few more months and a few failed tries we eventually had success.

We tried these stickers and they did the trick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012N7EYO

supergolden88 maybe you could try these? Your situation is slightly different to mine as you did have success with the potty training in the beginning. It's such a tricky one. I think if things don't improve then you should maybe revert to nappies. It's amazing how things will change in a few months. Don't feel pressured to potty train. Sometimes they just need a few more months.

Good luck

It seems that my son gets upset at home but he is fine at nursery. So I think he feeds off our reactions and my worry. I am going to ignore it for a while and not ask him if he needs the potty etc.

He is completely dry through the night (whereas a few weeks ago his nappy was heavy and full) so I think we may have to move him to a bed (something I was avoiding as you can probably tell!)