Parenting book recommendation please

Hi, Can anyone recommend a parenting book for me please? My son is 1 years old and in the first year I was given several parenting books but the only one I found helpful was 'The Babysense Secret' by Megan Faure. I had a brief look online for recommendations but the choice was overwhelming! Many Thanks

A very popular one that is very specific to toddlers is Taming Toddlers. It is quite good for : giving you a sense of perspective, tips on dealing with different types of behaviour, and seeing things through the child's eyes, although gets a bit repetitive and some of the advice seems a bit out of date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Toddler-Taming-bestselling-parenting/dp/0091902584/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374261251&sr=8-1&keywords=taming+toddlers

This one is aimed at parents of slightly older kids (2-8) but I found that it set out the general principles of managing behaviour really well. More useful in the longer run I think. (I started reading it at a similar point I think.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Incredible-Years-Carolyn-Webster-Stratton/dp/1892222043/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374261373&sr=1-1&keywords=the+incredible+years

Edited to add that the second one is The Incredible Years mentioned in a few posts below.

A very good local relationship counsellor, who was helping me and other half through a combined knot of issues worsened by post natal depression, reccommended a lovely book called "The Incredible Years", which has a very 'seize the moment', loving and practical outlook. The title says it all imo. Best wishes :)

Unconditional Parenting - Alfie Kohn and Playful Parenting - Lawrence Cohen. Both invaluable if you're of the mindful parenting persuasion. I also like 'Why Love Matters' - Sue Gerhart, because it explains in the most definitive, science and research supported way why 'popular' parenting techniques are a bit rubbish (not that I would be judgemental in any way - each to their own and all that).

Besame Mucho by Carlos Gonzalez. not sure what the English translation is but know it exists. if you google the name in spanish and put "in English" you should get a link. a lovely book with a really interesting discussion of parenting styles through the ages

• 1 month later...
Based on recommendations on this thread, I've just finished Buddhism for Mothers by Sarah Napthali. And it's really fantastic! I'm not a Buddhist by any stretch of the imagination but this book makes you feel calm and centred just by reading it. Highly recommended for any mother who wants to become a little more chilled.

I really recommend How To Talk So Kids Will Listen (and Listen So Kids Will Talk). It is useful for any age group I think:

In this international bestseller, experts Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish provide effective step by step techniques to help you improve and enrich your relationships with your children.

Learn how to:

Break a pattern of arguments

Cope with negative feelings

Engage your child's cooperation

Set clear limits and maintain goodwill

Express your emotions without being hurtful

Resolve conflicts peacefully

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Playful Parenting but LOVE "peaceful parents, happy kids"

Really easy to put in practice and it's transformed our everyday life with 3 year old from shouting and stress to wonderful. Can't recommend it enough. Even my sceptical husband is completely converted to this approach having seen what a huge difference it makes. :-)