A boy for Catherine and William! What were your most memorable labour moments?

From one woman to another, wishing Catherine a safe and straightforward labour. I hope the baby will be a girl. .. but maybe I'm a little biased!

One of the most memorable moments from my labour with Little Saff was discovering that Hubbie had eaten all my Bounty bars. I was so focused on the labour, the only thing I could think to say was "You rascal"! (Also quite memorable that he says I nearly broke his wrist... heehee.)

What were your memorable moments from labour?

What would you do the same/different?

I had a very long early labour at home (over 2 days) and then my contractions stopped. I was exhausted by this point and as I'd had group B strep we knew that if my waters had broken we had to go in (they weren't letting us go to Kings at this point). So we trotted off to the Maternal Assessment Unit, and after a 2 hour wait, were told that yes indeed, my waters had broken (I didn't realize!) and that I had to go and be induced right away. 'Right now?!' we cried. 'But we haven't had lunch yet!'

Also, I was zoomed into theatre part way through, but by the time Mr Oi rocked up (after clearing the room) the crisis was over and everyone in theatre was arguing over who had changed the radio station - 'This isn't Magic!'

I had my daughter at a birth centre in Leicestershire. I called them to say I had gone into labour and things were progressing, the midwife asked if I wanted to come in or wait, I said I wanted to come in as I was worried about the drive, to which she exclaimed "you're not driving yourself are you?" When I arrived, the mw insisted I wasn't in active labour as I was too calm and able to speak, she wanted to send us home, I said no so she said she'd examine me... I was 8cm. Shortly after all contractions stopped. I had 2 hours of nothing so they broke my waters, 42 minutes later I was cuddling my daughter.

When I argued to have an episiotomy having been pushing for hours and told 'I don't know why baby isn't coming out' I then had to hold babies crowning head between contractions whilst a new midwife came as mine 'didn't like cutting' :-)

The relief that followed after the epidurial - and asking the Anesthetist if he was married as he "was so lovely, handsome and gentle & would make a lovely husband" (cringe).

Then after drama, forceps and everything else the words "congratulations, It is all over - you have a son".

In that one moment alone- everything changed.

I had my second 6 weeks ago, when I got to the pushing stage I asked husband to find me something good on the radio. He tuned in Xfm and shortly afterwards they played the Iggy pop track Passenger. Being a big Iggy pop fan my husband urged me to "come on push the baby out to this one" as I was at the I cant do this stage this did not go down too well although I was unable to voice my disdain. She was born to the next song Stone Roses Waterfall. Pretty good choice we agreed.

With my first baby my partner said afterwards that he hadnt believed it was possible for a human to produce such extreme sounds unlike anything he had heard before or since (I had been in labour 27 hours and think I was doing some kind of bellowing cow noise,) then in one of my lowest moments the midwife cheerfully told him that my anus was 'flowering' nothing has ever sounded so distressing! After an emergency forceps & traumatic final delivery of a 10lb 4 baby (yes really) I knew that any future births would be by c-section and my other two certainly were!!

After a gap of 13 years between our girls, hubby and I attended anti natal classes (refresher course for both of us),

Advised that since babies tend to arrive when the hospital restaurant/local cafes are closed, that birth partners should pack a picnic for Mum to be and themselves to have after birth. Also that ward will be hot so wear cool clothing. came in on a Saturday evening with a plan to be induced Sunday morning but went into full blown labour. Hubby turns up with a bag - flask of coffee, water, cake, sandwiches, fruit. Wearing a track suit strips down to running vest and shorts. Baby born at 2.51 am - there were the 4 of us in the labour ward, me, baby, hubby and junior doctor who did delivery - sharing the food and drink and chatting about music and football. Young Dr was grateful for the food as had been a busy night and he did not have a chance to have a break.

We'd only moved into our flat a few weeks before I had my son so hadn't met too many of our neighbours. When my water broke there was meconium present so an ambulance was called. As I was being helped out of the house by two ambulance men and my midwife, our upstairs neigbour appeared. As I gasped 'I'm...in...labour' he turned to my husband and said 'Oooh - you're the new couple aren't you, now you must come up for drinks soon - when would be good for you both?'...time and place..!

After 12 hours of contractions I was only 2cm so I asked for an epidural because I was so demoralised by that, but I was also very high on gas and air so when the anaesthetist finished putting the epidural apparently I whispered [very loudly] to my husband: 'Well, I can still wriggle my toes so that's good' and then cracked up laughing.

After a LOOONNNGG labour (3 hours of pushing after who knows how long of 1st stage contractions) I was shipped to theatre for a forceps delivery. Once the spinal block kicked in I lay on the table revelling in the fact that I couldn't feel a thing. After a few minutes I looked up and said "Are those my legs?"

I honestly thought my legs were still stretched out in front of me not up in the air! Very odd experience indeed. Not sure whose legs I thought they might be...

After being given gas and air for the first time during labour, talking to my husband and the midwives as a drag queen for the next five minutes due to it's effect on my voice, followed by my hysterical laughing.

All whilst having an examination on the sofa in our front room.

I remember being told proudly by the midwife (having just got into labour ward) that

I'd be holding my baby in the next 5 hours, "FIVE HOURS?!" Was my reply between lungfuls of G&A.

With my next contraction I said I thought I could feel the "ring of fire" and the MW was surprised that instead of being the poo she'd warned me it most likely was, the head really was there.

Her estimate was rapidly revised to me holding my baby in the next hour and she then only just made it back to my side of the bed (I was stood beside the bed) with the next contraction to catch Bugglet - half hour after I arrived!

(Had been having contractions since the morning before/overnight at home!).

With No2 over halfway cooked, I'm trying to work out how likely an even speedier arrival is!

Fixing my husband with as serious a 'Paddington' stare as I could manage between gasps of gas & air (no mean feat at the time) and demanding the car keys to 'drive myself to hospital for a Caesarean' because I felt he wasn't taking my request seriously enough.

20 minutes later we had a 10lb baby.