Ideas for original present for first time mum to be

SebsC

Hi all. Hoping to get some ideas for a present for a first time mum to be for her baby shower - either a present for her or for baby. I know when I had my son, I was inundated with clothes for baby, so was hoping to get something a bit more personal or useful? Also, not knowing at this stage whether it's a boy or girl so would have to be something that covers both. Am open to home made suggestions too! Thanks!

I don't know if they still do but cook used to do gift vouchers. They deliver tasty, healthy food in portions for the freezer. We stocked up before both ours were born and it was great not having to cook/live on pizza. They're online or there are shops in blackheath and (I think) west dulwich.

Not so sure about the original bit but the best gift I ever got for my baby was a pack of Aden + Anais muslins. They are divine and we have used them every single day since birth, DS is now 17 months. It is by far his most treasured possession as he uses it as a comfort blanket. We have washed them weekly since March last year and they just last and last and then some. If anything they go softer over time, making them even softer.

The best gift that I received for myself was the homemade Lasagna a friend brought around a couple of days after birth, and the swift cleaning of my kitchen she did too. Anything that can help the mother in the first few days will be so very gratefully received.

I would agree with Emilypie in recommending Cook.

The evening we came back from the hospital with our newborn there was a knock on the door and a delivery guy from Cook with bags of food and a bottle of fizz.

Some friends had ordered us a load of really nice meals such as risotto, fish pie, Moroccan tagine and desserts.

My mum also gave us loads of homemade meals so we were sorted for a while.

Was a great present!

L

fl0wer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I saw a good kind of horse-shoe shaped cushion

> either the mother puts it around her middle while

> she is breastfeeding to prop the baby in her arms

> with less weight,

> or to help the baby sit up on its own more safely.

NCT website and Mothercare sell these. I had both a small horseshoe-shaped one and a larger L-shaped one. They were really useful for breastfeeding.

Hello, I make fine silver charms/ pendants using handprints etc, please take a look at my page www.facebook.com/mariamadeit and see the fine silver album. I sell the print kit for ?5 which is ink less, easy to do and mess free, this in itself makes a lovely keepsake, you could then purchase a voucher for the new mummy to choose what she wants later.

I would recommend this bed protectors as one of the most useful things I got. I have cotbed size one which was indispensable while feeding at night, it's soft and feels like a fleece, but is completely waterproof.

And another one would be a breastfeeding bra from Hot Milk (pretty pregnant on Northcross road were stocking them). They are so nice and lacy and I got them for my second one and feeding the baby was the whole new experience. you need to know the size though as they are not returnable/exchangeable and once you know if they'll actually be breastfeeding. I got the same size as during pregnancy, but I think some girls go more than 1 size up. got it for a couple of my girlfriends afterwards.