Potty training on holiday - what to take?

j-mo

Hello

I am about to start potty training my son. We have a month in between nurseries so it seemed like a good opportunity. Part of this time we will be on holiday.

Any suggestions for what I need to take? Am thinking of one of those portable potties with liners. Any recommendations for those? Other than that, is it just lots of pants/changes of clothes etc...?

Thanks

J-mo

We also did potty training on holiday & recommend the potette plus potty, which can be used as a potty or as a toilet seat. Potette liners are very convenient but relatively pricey. The cheapest place I found for both was John Lewis online http://www.johnlewis.com/potette-plus-convertible-travel-potty-white-blue/p230587521?kpid=230587521&s_kenid=13cff9b7-b09e-a4e8-73b2-000052c32c69&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73 although this may have changed recently.

I found a very cheap & very effective alternative to the liners from mumsnet: basic pedal bin liners (which I double up to be extra secure) with a basics sanitary towel inserted to absorb the wee. We use this method at home (my daughter uses either the potty or loo depending on urgency) but use the potette liners when out, as it is more convenient.

I found the tippee toes toilet seat brilliant for use at home http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tippitoes-Toilet-Trainer-Seat-Blue/dp/B00180V5HI

Definitely lots of underwear & change of clothes but having your toddler naked/pants free where poss makes the initial part of training a lot easier.

Finally, recommend these for the car seat/buggy/sofas to keep the wee & poo free http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/nappy_accessories/pampers_change_mats_12.html

Good luck!

All agreed as above! We've just potty trained our daughter. We found princess Polly's potty is a good one and for boys it called pirate pete's potty, or something similar. Has a button on it to cheer! I would also agree on what your treat will be (if you choose to use one) and take enough with you for first few days, also stickers and a chart of some sort (bought or homemade). My daughter responded really well to the stickers and chocolate button approach but was a little unsure about the potty itself, the book really helped her gain courage as she got involved in taking more about potties and being a big girl like Polly etc.

Exciting big boy pants and easy elasticated shorts are a must but as above, being naked is easy until they get used to telling you in advance. Always leave the potty visible and if you go somewhere new then reinforce the fact you have the potty and where it is! My daughter did really well but when we started leaving the familiarity of the home it was a bit more complicated!

My little boy is potty training at the moment and to my dismay hates the potette! My older son wasn't especially keen on it but used it in emergencies, but younger son says it's too 'ouchy' and won't sit on it. Nor is he keen on the toilet - he only likes his throne like baby bjorn potty! trips out are a challenge...

Anyway - just to say I found last time and now that you just have to go with the flow with it - they will lead you and if it gets too stressful it's probably worth abanoning and trying again later. I absolutely decided to potty train my eldest son at a time convenient to me and when I thought he was ready....it was a disaster, we stopped, and he then did it easily by himself a couple of months later.