Lets hear it for Gestational Diabetes....!

buggie

...or maybe not!

I've found out I've been lucky enough to have gestational diabetes again. Was wondering if anyone else is in the same position at the moment?

Annoyingly I'm not doing bad during the day, but am having high end of ok readings first thing - if anyone has any ideas of no carb breakfasts - am sooo bored of omelettes already! (weirdly I can tolerate carbs a few hrs later so have a carby snack mid morning to catch up!)

Also, if anyone has experience of being under kings & using insulin, an idea of what they prescribed/how it went for you would be v useful as its likely I'm not going to be able to just manage it with diet this time.

Thanks in advance x

Oh no - poor you!

Now, I'm neither pregnant nor do I have GD, but have been on a bit of a no (well....low) carb diet for a while and basically have scrambled egg every morning for breakfast. Sometimes I hard boil a couple of eggs the night before and have them with some smoked salmon. If you can bear it maybe cook an extra bit of meat for dinner and eat it cold with some cashew nuts...or bacon? Can you have natural yoghurt with some blueberries and apple or is fruit too sugary?

One thing I looked at when was threatened with (but didn't actually get) GD with my last pregnancy was the Brewer diet (I think) which is v high protein and supposedly good for lessening GD and the risk of pre eclampsia...maybe google it as my memory is a bit hazy....

Good luck and hope you manage it all ok.

ElmGrove - would be good, but guessing their mixed with milk which could be problematic due to the sugars :( (plus not

Snowboarder - will look up brewer diet, annoyingly I can't stand hard boiled eggs (I know, I'm impossible!). Luckily have found some pancetta in the fridge so getting bit more flavour tomorrow :)

Am almost looking forward to insulin to bring a bit more choice back to breakfast!!

I really feel for you hon, I had it when pregnant and it was not great! I was on insulin to happy to answer any questions you have.

I have some books at home somewhere on the 'dukan diet' and whilst obv you are not going on a diet that had loads of super high protein meals in there including some pancakes which were made out of oatbran and egg (or something like that, but I'll google it for you - you can buy it in sainos in the cereal section). They werent the worst things Ive ever tasted so that could be an option for you to mix it up a little..

I'll do some googling for you now xx

There are some low carb recipes in the wheat belly cookbook, which is wheat free but substitutes things like ground almonds and coconut flour rather than other grain flours.

Might be worth googling that too, there are a few blogs with recipes, will have a look and pm recipes if I ever get my little girl to go to sleep!

Sorry you've got it again, though having been through it before I hope it wasnt such a shock for you!

Hope all is otherwise well with your pregnancy xx

Try 100% rye bread (the dark one in the packets) with a boiled egg. Start with one slice; if that still causes a spike try half a slice. Also try going for a walk after meals. That worked for me. Good luck. Mushrooms also good for breakfast.

Re smoked salmon - check whether smoked products ok in pregnancy. Good luck.

Massive sympathy. I had GD and the breakfasts drove me mad, as my morning readings were the worst.

My top tip is Staffordshire oatcakes, as the consultant told me off for having carb free breakfasts and sending my ketones rocketing. They are like pancakes. I bought mine online in bulk(!) but I've been told that DKH Sainsburys has them at the moment. They are traditionally served with melted cheese but I used them as general wraps, although cheese is obviously a good option for you at the moment. They are less than 20g carb each and I could tolerate them when even Burgen toast was too much.

Well, big revaluation is I've found a bread with 3g (yup only 3g) of carbs a slice!! Annoyingly it's only available at waitrose, but as our other recent reveal action has been doing the waitrose online shop we're sorted!

It's called Livlife seriously seedy - looks like small slices but their really filling & I can do 2 slices for brekkie with fried mushrooms (yum!!).

Will look out for staff oatcakes - sound nice :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I had it too and breakfast was the worst - my top tip - two small breakfasts :) a couple of hours apart...

Muller light yogurts - have less than 15g of carbs and half a punnet of blueberries is less than 15g too.... Easy if like me you picked brekkie up on the way to work.

Oh and don't forget the Nairns choc chip oat cakes! Taste like proper choc biscuits IMHO... and snack size cadbury treats come in at under 15g of carbs too...

Nairns do chic chip oat cakes??

Greenwater you've made my day :-)

Few weeks in I'm feeling far more positive, saw a different dr today who said my GTT result was hugely borderline and that I may not have it (arghh!!) but to con't monitoring/keeping aiming to keep to the limits they set for blood sugars.

Weirdly not feeling as limited with brekkies now, and I do the 2 breakfasts thing too, annoyingly don't get to stop off at shops en route to work, but my evening treat is often a small bowl of raspberries & cream :-)

• 5 months later...
Am resurrecting this thread as it seems my GD has finally hit with this pregnancy, at 35+5 I thought I'd missed it and was so looking forward to going in to labour naturally with this pregnancy as was insulin dependent with my last so induced at 38+3 but my readings have been quite high since yesterday so the diabetic clinic has advised if no change on the weekend then I will be put on insulin on Monday. Totally bummed. I will be shopping off the list above! X

Thanks Mivy you are so kind! This on top of the OH having emergency back surgery a month back and still not able to help with mini Strawbs has not allowed for the restful end of pregnancy I was hoping for! I am just grateful the GD is so late as if they induce me I have less than 3 weeks to go so won't be injecting and feeling horrid for too long. Let me know if you fancy a coffee one day (no cake hehe) as I am off on mat leave now x