american style fridges

Belle

Copying PollyD on the utility thread front...

Any recommendations on good American style (double) fridges? I know they go up to crazy prices, we can't afford those! But don't want to get a cheapie and find out it's a false economy. Also aesthetics are important...are the only options basically stainless steel/white/black?? I love the Smeg styles/colours but they don't seem to do actual double fridges.

Advice welcome!

Fisher Paykel do very good, larger than normal trad top/bottom freezers plus a gorgeous one with french style doors - so rather than side by side, the freezer is at the bottom (drawers) and the frige is double width on top. water dispenser, ice dispensed in the freezer so it doesn't take up all the (narrow) freezer space as in a trad american style one.

Rangemaster also do version of this called s x s (side by side) but we sent ours back as a) couldn't fit it down victorian hallway and b) it was plasticky and crap at the sides so if it's going to be freestanding I'd recommend the F&P one. Not sure about colours I'm afraid - I've seen cream (eg rangemaster) but we got stainless steel.

ALso - I got loads of quotes then called local stores to get them to match them and went with Wellingtons in Erith who were brilliant, ordered in the fridge we wanted, sent it back when it wasn't right, ordered the new one, sorted fitting etc.

But for more recs I'd get a month's trial subscription to Which ..

Also, after owning 3 smeg appliances over the years, including a very pretty fridge freezer in a colour I loved. I have to say the quality isn't great, the fridge freezer always had an ice monster and the door eventually fell off. It also liked to collect mildew in the door seals (yuk). I wouldn't buy smeg again even though they are lovely to look at.

Britannia do red and cream american style fridge freezers, can't comment on quality though.

http://www.appliancecity.co.uk/products/fridges-and-freezers/american-style-fridge-freezers/filter_mk=britannia

Oh and yes LG seem good too. We have also swapped our pioneer tv for a samsung and are rather impressed with that too.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances/refrigeration/american-style/RSH7ZNRS1/XEU?subsubtype=h-series

I have this one, the hatch on the main door acts as a mini bar with the bottles in the big shelf behind. You can keep your wine in there and just press for the hatch to flip out and lay flat, put your glass on, fill glass up and then put bottle back without opening door. It doesn't take up any extra space either. Quite handy and right next to the water and ice dispenser.

Love the hatch thing! I need a non-plumbed one though.

Gwod...good idea but we're tight on space in our kitchen/dining area, would be too big I think. It's a bit of a conundrum. Current fridge/freezer nowhere big enough, we get through a lot of food plus do tend to freeze a lot. New one would need to go in dining space of open plan which is why I was trying to think of a way of making it vaguely aesthetically pleasing. Did see a thing online where someone painted theirs in blackboard paint, seems a bit ambitious/drastic though!

We were also recommended two integrated units - one full size fridge and one full size freezer - as an alternative. I do like the American style ones but think it depends on your space available - can look a bit cumbersome as deeper than standard worktops. Having said that I love the Fisher Paykel one as it has freezer drawers! Fab! A good friend of mine said she'd go for more freezer space over fridge space any day and I think I'd agree...