Pampers V Huggies for a newborn baby girl

I've used both, I started with pampers and loved them - ALL NAPPIES LEAK! All of them, Huggies is being discontinued so you might aswell get used to another

I LOVE the supermarket brands, cheaper always on offer like half the price

Baby wipes - I use pampers or sainsburys I love I HATED the Huggies ones far too rough

- also pull ups are cheaper and I wish I used them from 5/6 months onwards only just switched now and my baby is 14months!

But depends what you like - everyone is different its best to get afew to see

Save yourself money and buy supermarket own! We've used a lot of different brands and honestly I cannot tell the difference. 'Just for bums' from Kiddicare are good mainly because they come in bulk and you can send them back if you don't use them all, great for convenience but we're now using Sainsbury's own and they're just as good.

There are no Huggies nappies now! Withdrawn over Europe so they can concentrate on wipes. However I used to swear by Huggies finding them softer than pampers for my now 6 yr old son. But with my baby daughter I have to say supermarket nappies much better than used to be so now use them or else Naty (also much Improved in 6 years) if they're on special.

Also can I just say how great Jackson Reece kinder by nature wipes are. I find myself raving in the street about them to complete strangers given half a chance. I stock up,when a third off in Sainsbury's as quite expensive - 2 quid a pack! But great on delicate skin and very moist. I think their branding is a bit off and the bright colours may put people off - look very artificial when in fact the opposite is true. Ok advertorial over. But like I said I'm a big fan.

Sometimes the big boxes of pampers (100+ nappies) are cheaper per nappy from amazon than supermarket own brands. Probably worth only getting these once your baby is a bit bigger and the weight range for the nappies is greater, so you are not left with loads of nappies that are too small.

Also, if you find cheaper brands leak overnight, as the nappy was not being changed for 12h (which I did with my son), then you can use them for the day & use pampers at night. If you do find nappies are leaking frequently then it may also mean you need to go up a size.

• 2 weeks later...

With my 8 week old girl we've had the following experiences:

Huggies

Given some Huggies by a friend - loved them so bought more at Costco - AWFUL - leak, can't hold in the smaller poos - then realised they were American which makes sense as knew Huggies being discontinued in Europe.

Sainsbury's own

Similar to Huggies - didn't contain things and find the nappy gets squashed between the legs causing a lump and meaning more likely to leak (US Huggies did similar).

Pampers

Unfortunately love these the most - contain even the most explosive poos (as long as you change soon after) and the colour changing strip is so useful (yellow at start, goes green when nappy is wet).

I'd buy a small pack of each you want to try and see what works for you - then go bulk either Amazon, CostCo or shop offers. Note - you can join Amazon Family for 3 months and you get Amazon Prime free for those 3 months - (just make a note in your diary to cancel the Prime in 3 months or they'll automatically take your money to put on you Prime going forward). Means you get free next day delivery on most items.

Amazon have some nappy offers at the moment. Recently I got a good offer on Pampers in Tesco but I think Amazon have just beaten it by a long shot!! ;o(

We've used Sainsburys Eco for my daughter mostly, but use Pampers at night (baby dry or active fit once she was in the size) as they're more leak proof. Not had many explosive poos except for a period when she was just sitting and we hadn't cottoned onto her ability to poo without making as much noise as when she was lying down! What's worked for us is keeping her in the larger size for her weight - so she's in 4+ now even though she's within the weight for 4s as I find it just covers her bum better and also holds onto any excess poo.

Ultimately you don't know how sensitive your baby is going to be - whether she'll react to different nappies or not so you can't be certain which will work for you. I'd also recommend using water and cotton pads to wipe down after using wipes even after the newborn stage. I don't know if we've been lucky viz nappy rashes thus far or if using water the majority of the time has helped keep it at bay. Ultimately the wipes are full of chemicals even if they're "sensitive" or "newborn" ones.

Good luck with everything!