Awful experience at GMs hairdressers :(

Jellybeanz

I have been going to GMs for years and years and always found them reliable, fairly reasonable (comparatively - for this area!), if slow service.

I went today and my goodness, my last visit I wasn't impressed to find that a blow dry wasn't included in a haircut price (had to ask her for the brush and dryer in the end and do it myself, wasn't willing to walk out looking like wurzel gummidge) but TODAY was so much worse...

Usually happy staff had been replaced by grumpy / sour faced teens, the girl who did my hair looked like she had sucked a lemon and didn't speak to me throughout except to laugh [once] at something her colleague said to her.

She even huffed when I had a sip of my drink (as she had to stop for at least 5 seconds).

Then the worst part - the hair wash. My gawd I have never known such a rough wash in my life. The only saving grace was that she didn't have the usual false nails. I felt like my head was in a spin dryer being tumble dried. "Do you want a head massage" usually meets a "Yes please!" erm not today thanks. If she could do that when washing imagine what a head massage would be like - cheese grater treatment perhaps?!

I expect the woman also having a hair wash had similarly rough experience as she also declined a massage and looked eager to get back out into the salon daylight and have her hair finished (by the lovely Millie - one recognisable face, lovely as ever).

Once the "rough drying" began - which essentially meant a comb through and her running her chewed nails through my hair whilst waving the dryer somewhere near my head - I knew I was at risk of looking worse than when I came in and paying for the privilege. And I did. My parting was wrong. She said "Is that dry enough?" (erm well, let's see do I want to go outside with damp hair when I have a cold and after paying ?50 for highlights?!). I guess so. What's the point in making a fuss, just to be met with more grimaces or possibly shocked faces at someone daring to point out their inadequacies. Surely I should just be grateful I got a half price offer.

To top it off the lingering at the till when I paid was almost too much. Really, you expect a tip of any kind after that treatment???

My tip is charge less, treat customers better, include a blow dry in whatever the customer is having, and BE NICE :)

I shall only be returning on a Saturday when it is busy enough for you to get great treatment to a trusty hairdresser I have had before!

What a shame, a lovely day ended by me being out of pocket and looking hardly any better. Humph.

Kuki on Bellenden Rd is much more reasonable than GMs, if you want to go to a salon. Or Carly, a mobile hairdresser who is great and much used by forumites - if you do a search her number will come up, I've used her for brazilian blowdry, cut and colour and been very happy with all 3. She's very reasonable.

I heartily recommend Harold George in Dulwich, I used to go to GMs for many years but got a bit fed up at having to go back more than once to have my colour redone the next day - unacceptable considering the very high prices they charge and I also found the colour product they changed to a year or so ago irritates my scalp(not their fault really I guess). Harold George is fantastic in my opinion, not trying to be trendy but very professional, lovely staff and prices are reasonable.

I had some rubbish highlights at GMs last year (that'll teach me to always go on special offer day), but I plucked up the courage to complain and they were very nice about correcting them. Haven't been back though!

I'd recommend Shingo for cut, Carly for colour. In fact, Shingo is so good you don't need to go so often as the style really lasts.

I also recommend Kuki (I usually go to Pauline, but have also had my hair done by Shingo and Gemma who were both good). I think I am the only person who doesn't rate Miguel at Rocks Hair, I was really disappointed with the cut he gave me - everyone else seems to think he's great though so maybe just me!

Bonfire2010 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think I am the only person

> who doesn't rate Miguel at Rocks Hair, I was

> really disappointed with the cut he gave me -

> everyone else seems to think he's great though so

> maybe just me!

Nope - you're not alone. I've had three cuts with Miguel. The first was fab, second was awful but I blamed myself for picking the wrong style, but the third time I concluded it wasn't me, just a poor cut.

It's quite a chaotic disorganised environment too - some might find that charming, I found it irritating.

I really like the new hairdressers, The Galleon, on the corner of Dunstans Road and Forest Hill Road.

I have never had my hair cut at GM. I had an appointment booked there once, many moons ago when they first opened, for 10am. At 10.30, when my stylist was still attending to someone else, I upped and left and never went back.

My hairdresser, Julie, is fabulous. She is a mum who no longer wants to work in a salon but has years of salon experience including working with Vidal Sassoon. She will come to your house and her prices are extremely reasonable. She doesn't do colour, but I just have that done elsewhere. Her number is 07771618923.

• 1 year later...