Plantation shutters for family home

Anna27

Fellow mums hoping you can help me out I'm after plantation style shutters for our victorian terraced house, I just need them for the top floor, I haven't actually been in a house that has them but they look nice from the outside and would solve privacy issues. Possibly going for the solid ones rather than slatted, any experience you have with them would be a great help! There seem to be hundreds of suppliers.

I have a few questions, it's a bright bedroom will they cut the light out dramatically? Top and bottom of bay windows or just the bottom section. I couldn't decide on curtains or blinds/window film, figured this would solve the problem!

Recommendations of suppliers and rough prices would also be useful,

Thanks in advance...

We are getting quotes for four windows in our house - 2 huge 30s bay windows and 2 more normal sized to big windows. The cheapest quote from a recommended source had been Affordable Shutters but not cheap c?3200 for all 4 but haven't had final quote yet and also haven't decided if we can afford!! Although getting nice, lined curtains made for the same rooms with nice poles plus installation would cost a lot too. I see the upside as neat and stylish to look at (IMHO) and fit with any decor or colour changes plus good for resale, bad sides are: dust potential, cost and would be awful if they went out of fashion the way of artex!! I actually find picking out curtain fabric really hard though so that's another big win for plantation (slats) for me!!

Have heard avoid Hilary's like the plague - heavy sales tactics and ridiculous pricing. Lots of companies recommended on here elsewhere and mumsnet.

We got some for our bedroom which is at the front of the house. Wanted solid but opted for slatted for various reasons, which doesn't block light out completely - solid would do a much better job for this. They really do look great in my opinion and amazingly don't seem to gather dust which was something we'd expected. We went with Shutters Up, who were fantastic to deal with, and though not cheapest, not the dearest eitehr (plus with a fairly big/important purchase like this I was wary of deals sounding too good to be true, and had read good recommendations for them here) http://www.shuttersup.co.uk/ - they'll come and do a consultation free, and won't give it the hard sell either.

Thanks everyone! Can you tell me if you looked around any showrooms or do they come with samples when they measure? Also I've noticed that some of the frames are around the shutters and some behind, not sure how important that is?

Also worried about the lead time, John Lewis told me if would be 10-12 weeks! Would like them up before Christmas!

Affordable shutters seem to have a good reputation. Belle thanks for your recommendation too, The shutters will be for our bedroom which is a good size but like most victorian terraces we need to be able to have privacy from the houses opposite especially during the day without blocking all natural light out, it's a difficult decision, initially I thought roman blinds with the window film on the lower window, this is still costly and I do like to be able to look out into the street.

How do people feel about having the top section moving independently from the bottom or does it look better as one panel? Really helpful getting feedback from people currently living with them.

Belle do you regret not getting the solid shutters or are you happy with your decision?

Thanks again!

I didn't go to a showroom - they brought samples and talked me t hrough the different styles, there are quite a few. I don't regret not having solid shutters for the house/room if you see what I mean, but I do still long to have them in another house or context some time, my mum has them and I love them - but yes, there is no halfway house with them, and they would not have been right for our bedroom. we have it so that the top section can move independently though we don't use that option much. But it's nice to have it if you need it... The slats are good not just for light/privacy reasons but also for hot nights when you can have the window open and tilt the slats just v slightly to let some air in.

There is a longish lead time because they ship them in (or Shutters Up do anyway) but once they are in they're very quick and efficient about fitting. I think we were lucky and got them quicker than usual too - can check details but from memory was more like 6-8 weeks. I'm not sure re frame options - think our's are around but not sure what the options are if you see what I mean, but I know that they will offer you loads of choices and talk you through what tends to work in which setting etc.

I got the impression they're a family business and I just found them so nice to deal with, whereas I've heard some bad stories about some of the bigger companies out there. They will be able to advise you on all the variations you're asking about, I'm sure.

Hi - we got ours from s craft through John Lewis. They were excellent. Brought lots of samples when they came to measure up and talked through all the options. We just have them in bottom half. Not sure how effective they are at cutting out light. If I were having them in a bedroom I think I'd want curtains too.

Thanks j-mo that was a concern of mine too but I thought by the time I'm in bed anyway its dark and during the day it's privacy that we need for getting changed etc. I suppose the solid ones would block more light out but like Belle said I not sure if they are right for my bedroom but I do love them!

Bellenderbear I did actually read through the other thread but it wasn't particularly helpful, normally the family room is the best place for these things ;)

Thanks my research continues! Along with a new front garden path and pathing, the list is endless. My eldest has just started school so I'm making it my mission to get these things finished!

I was thinking about shutters but haven't found the time or money to press the go button. I have a colleague who researched this thoroughly. He said that companies use the same sourcing in the sense that the shutters all come from China. That's why it takes at least eight weeks for the shutters to arrive.

Here's what he told me: " One city in China makes 80% of the world?s plantation shutters ? probably because they?re right next to an enormous forest of bass wood, which is what they?re made from, a durable, lightweight and thermodynamically stable wood ie. It won?t contract or expand as the temperature changes in your room/house."

It makes sense to get at least three quotes. A bigger company which does a lot of marketing needs to recoup those expenses, for instance. I would definitely shop around and get recommendations.

I went to the New England Shutter Company showroom today (@Wandsworth Common train station), excellent quality and lovely staff, no hard sell at all, their factory is in Dubai not China, expensive but I am impressed. I'd recommend trying to touch/feel before buying (from anyone) because I ended up liking one style way more than the rest, whereas on the website/photos I maybe wouldn't have made the right choice.

I second the recommendation for Bromley Blinds (who confusingly do shutters as well as blinds - think they also use the name Shutterland, and I think they do / did advertise on this forum). I got three quotes if I remember correctly and they were cheapest, but also seemed like they had the best attention to detail, and I liked using a local independent rather than a nationwide 'big brand'. As others have mentioned above, the shutters themselves are S-craft from China.

We also got ours with Shutterland and are very happy with quality, price and attention to detail. Plus they are a small local company and really really nice guys! There was an option to get built in blackout blinds..we didn't get them and the shutters still filter some light in so in the kids rooms we put some black out curtains on top which works fine.

Shutters Up were fantastic - ordered October, delivery early December (8 weeks as mentioned above - they were very up front about the orders coming in from China). Installation was quick, considerate (taking into account a sleeping 2 month old in the house) and they took out some existing venetian blinds for us. We have half shutters (slatted) which are great for privacy. But we also have curtains so draw those at night. If you only want shutters then I would recommend getting separate upper and lower ones so you can open the upper ones for light and keep the lower ones shut for privacy.

This is really helpful thanks everyone. I have decided that I need to see a few houses and possibly visit the New England Shutter Company's showroom to be sure of what I'm after. Think we will go for tier on tier but I don't want them to look too traditional, love the solid ones or the simple slatted shutters with the pole hidden.

I did have a rough quote from the Traditional Shutter Company working out at ?2080 for our bedroom bay window plus a single small sash to the side of the bay, this seems like a lot, but they do produce them in the UK and the frame sits behind the shutters rather than around, same for the New England Shutter Company. This still seems like quite a lot!?

I will investigate the other suggestions, I'm assuming the ones from china are of a good standard if quite a few of you are recommending them but as of yet I have seen nothing in the flesh.

the New England Shutter Company quoted ?1847 plus fitting, they have 25% of their white range at the moment, this was the discounted price, but unfortunately they are the ones with the shutter rod in the middle, other ranges and styles will be considerably more!

Too many options!!

Also from street view they all seem slightly green or off-white is this just because the glass distorts them? do most of you have white ones that appear different from the outside?

Thanks again!

New England also have a cool built-in feature (which perhaps other companies do too?) called a "split tilt" which means you can have say, the slats in the bottom section of the shutter tilted closed for privacy and the top section open. The advantage is you don't have to split the whole shutter into two separate tiers which introduces a solid section and cuts out more light (and in the case of the NESC adding tiers adds more expense).

I went to the showroom and fell for the more expensive Manhattan model (no visible rod) so beware!

On the positive side they sent a guy out to measure up the next day which was very speedy indeed.

We got ours within the last year and went through ShuttersUp. They were excellent and the shutters are great quality. In our previous property we had bought them through JL, Hilary's and Thomas Sanderson. ShuttersUp were by far the best and very reasonable price. Excellent to deal with, efficient, friendly and beautifully fitted.

We got ours from Affordable Shutters, which provided the cheapest quote by far and which also didn't seem to involve any obvious cost-cutting (ie, use of MDF, rather than wood as offered by some other companies). All of our quotes were also significantly cheaper than the ones you seem to have received so far Anna27 (for two bay windows. upstairs and down).

Re colours, generally you should be able to opt for whatever colour you prefer. That pale pistachio colour you mention does seem very popular, but it's also possible to get plain, crisp white (which we did).