Mastitis (and twins). Advice please!

I know there have been previous mastitis threads but I was still hoping for some Forum advice. I have 8 week old twins who were exclusively breast fed for the first 5 weeks. During that time I had lots of painful blocked ducts and an episode of mastitis which completely wiped me out but thankfully improved with anti-biotics. I BF my older 2 singletons without any real problems apart from occasional blocked ducts which easily cleared with heat, massage etc.

At 5 weeks I introduced a bottle of formula each per day partly because the relentless feeding made it difficult to go anywhere and look after my older girls, and partly because I hoped that by gradually reducing my milk supply I could avoid more blockages and mastitis. They now also take it in turns to have a formula dream feed so are probably 75% breast fed. I am still getting recurrent blocked ducts which I struggle to clear, a blocked nipple pore (really painful) and now mastitis again with fever and feeling really unwell and unable to function.

I really want to continue BFing but can not cope with the mastitis. Today I have been sweaty and shivery, and have spent most of the day lying on the sofa. Luckily my mum is here so she has looked after the babies and all I have had to do is feed them. Most of the time though I am home alone with the twins and on somedays have my 2 year old too. I have been in email contact with a TAMBA breast feeding advisor but was only advised to do what I am already doing - hot showers, massage, expressing, encouraging feeding etc.

Does anyone have any top tips for avoiding recurrent mastitis? Particularly anyone who has fed twins. I was thinking of reducing the BFing to half when the current episode clears so effectively I would be producing the same amount of milk as for one baby.

Any tips?

You poor thing, this sounds horrendous. In my opinion you're a hero for feeding twins anyway, let alone through these types of problems.

My breastfeeding experience is limited to one single baby! Always found kellymom useful and there seem to be lots of resources for recurrent mastitis etc on there:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/

Apologies if you've already found this.

All the best.

I had a lot of that milk fever sort of mastitis bf twins. I think the large supply is def a factor. It did settle after a couple of months. I found that feeding regularly,,ESP before I went to bed, was key. I believe that lecithin is very efectivebinnthe case of recurrent blocked ducts.

Hope you can get it sorted. Hope you are getting past the worst!

Sending support from a mum of twins who breastfed. I did get what you had once or twice, but I did as you are and pushed on through. Hot baths for certain.

I know a visit to the docs can be difficult with twins, but you might needs antibiotics. It might not sound a nice proposition, but you don't want to get any iller, and you might need them to clear it up in the longer term and allow you to breastfeed easier and longer.

How old are they? I wouldn't try and reduce supply at this stage as you probably want as much milk through the system to keep infection away.

I would say diet is key when breastfeeding twins. Make sure you are eating enough, and don't ever go hungry, your body will send all nutrients to the babies, and thus you will be the one to lose out if there's not enough energy in - hence more chance of infection. I found I had to have two lunches to keep going - so I had porridge with cream and fruit in the morning, then a lunch at 11.30am and then another sandwich or something at 2ish. Never go out without food. Also remember you de need a good amount of fat to feed twins- so high fat is ok, and so is protein. Oatcakes and cheese or peanut butter are good to take out with you. I found I got incredibly hungry with no notice - and energy levels dipped instantly. Oh, and water of course

You probably know all that, but good to know especially when confronted with a health visitor or GP who may know less than you on the subject (easily done)

Good luck - message me if you want any other advice

J

Thanks for the advice and support. I had already started antibiotics when I started the thread and am feeling much better today. I saw my GP this morning who extended the antiBs for another week. I wasn't planning to reduce BFing until the mastitis had cleared but wondered whether it might help to prevent future episodes if I reduced gradually when things return to 'normal'.

Fuschia, your tips about feeding lots at bedtime are good. They have recently started to sleep for much longer stretches over night and this combined with giving one of them a formula dream feed instead of BF has no doubt contributed to my recent problems. Good to know that things got better for you after a couple of months.

Dontpanic, I am certainly eating for 3! Definitely 2 breakfasts and lots of oatcakes, nuts etc between meals. Sometimes after Mr BB makes dinner or lunch (he's not known for his portion controlling) I have to go and make a cheese sandwich for dessert!

Hi there... sorry to hear all the problems you are having. I had mastitis a few times when breastfeeding my twins; it really is hideous. The Dulwich Twins Club has a breastfeeding peer support volunteer, Sophie, who is lovely and can come and see you at home (or whatever would be most helpful in terms of support). PM me if you would like to be put in contact with her. Hope things get better soon.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time.

I am bfing mum of 1 (!) & had similar problems with over supply/engorgement, blocked ducts & mastitis. I tried all of the usual (cold cabbage, showers, compresses etc) & found the thing that helped the most was when I saw a chranial osteopath - the difference I felt was immediate! I did have to go back, but, I had enormous relief for a few days at least. I also did regular arm rotation excersises which released things too.

Things eventually calmed down for me after around 3 months & now I don't have any problems (my son is nearly 9 months).

I hope that you find something that works for you so that you can continue doing your heroic work! x