Help/Advice - childcare when working late

BusyBusy

We are about to have some changes in a our work lives and are wondering how to tackle the question of childcare. If anyone has gone through the same situation or has any genius ideas then please let me know!

We have one child at nursery and I will continue to be able to do the drop off in the morning. Our younger child is at home with a nanny in a nanny share. Until recently my husband and I have been able to do the collection from nursery at the end of the day and be home no later than 6:30 (when the nanny share ends).

My other half has always worked predictable hours and has done the nursery pick up. I am often able to do the same but have very unpredictable hours and may sometimes get home as late as the small hours of the morning. He is now going to be working away from home for 2 nights a week and I am concerned about how I will cope if I can't get home to (1) do the pick up from nursery, (2) take over from nanny, (3) get both children bathed and to bed and (4) make sure they are then 'babysat' until I get home. The days on which I may need this are always the same two days but would be unpredictable and may be last minute. Our current nanny can't stay later than 6:30 and I'd be concerned she'd be shattered the following day if it turned out to be a 2am return home for me.

Anyone come across an arrangement where someone can do a nursery pickup and then take over from a nanny to do bath/bed routine and then babysit. How does it work given it may not be required all the time....retainer?

Am panicking - please help. I can't be the only one who has ever had to consider this?

It sounds as though you need a 'granny' type person. Is the nursery near your home? could an older person - a substitute granny be appropriate. There must be retired child minders around who would like to earn a few pounds for a couple of afternoons/evenings a week?

Hi, my name is Amanda Bridgeman, I currently work at a Primary School in forest hill as a Teaching Assistant . I have worked there for over 7 years . I am 48 years old with two grown up children.

I am looking for some extra work, and would be very interested helping you.

Amanda Bridgeman