breastfeeding in public - experiences?

dildals

Hi,

Just thought I'd ask for some advice here.

I agree with breastfeeding in public as a concept, but now that I have come to the stage of actually DOING it I am a little bit more hesitant!

What is your experience? Have you had any bad experiences breastfeeding in public? Are there any cafes/restaurants etc I need to avoid (because they don't welcome breastfeeding)?

Thanks for your feedback!

No bad experiences at all and lots of public breastfeeding! It is a bit daunting at first but I quickly got used to it and then didn't think twice. You can use shawls/covers but most of the time I just couldn't be bothered. I just planned my tops carefully, usually just a vest underneath that was easy to pull down and an easy release breastfeeding bra. You could buy one or two official breast-feeding tops if that makes it easier for you?

never had a bad experience bfing in the year I was doing it. First time (in the Design Museum cafe) was a bit hard as I was still struggling with the latch and worried about boob exposure as I did so, but hiding behind a pillar and careful draping of my scarf and it was fine, I felt inordinately proud of myself!

I found pulling top up, stretchy vest underneath down minimized exposure (important now it's getting chilly!), and Hot Milk nursing bras are well designed for minimal exposure. Once baby is latched on you can't see much anyway.

I found places like John Lewis cafe, gallery cafes, that kind of thing very good. Parents' rooms are very hit and miss, I found the chairs provided were often not well designed for nursing! But the Peter Jones room is amazing, they have glider chairs and footstools (though rather noisy air con), I once spent an hour in there, we both fell asleep!

The only place I never fed was on a bus.

Never had any issues first time round or this time round. Agree you need to get clothing right, top up, stretchy vest down. I find most people don't even notice as it is possible to feed really discreetly. Summer was great, big sun hat on baby's head covered everything.

Happy feeding.

Totally agree with all the experience above.

I never had any negative comments, lots of approving looks - makes me grateful to live in London, as I don't think it is always the same elsewhere.

I've fed everywhere - on buses, trains, parks, cafes - even when things got really desperate once inside a fried chicken shop (it was pouring with rain on a walk back from Lewisham and there was nowhere else to shelter).

Clothes make a huge difference. I really recommend getting a few breastfeeding-specific dresses and tops. Check out Frugi and Jojo Mamam Babe and ebay. They just made things quicker and more comfortable. I never did the massive cover-up-and-hide-my-baby-under-something thing and glad that I didn't - I think that draws more attention. That said - if you are a sling mum, I did find I could breastfeed discreetly whilst walking with the baby in the ergo and the raincover on the ergo up.

That's good to hear because this kid LOVES to breastfeed.

What made me think about it was Holly McNish's breastfeeding video which is doing the rounds on FB. It sounds like she had quite a few bad experiences but it seems that this is the exception to the rule.

Ladies, you will be pleased to hear I will be getting my boobs out in public! (Although, may draw the line at the fried chicken shop, respect.)

dildals Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's good to hear because this kid LOVES to

> breastfeed.

>

> What made me think about it was Holly McNish's

> breastfeeding video which is doing the rounds on

> FB. It sounds like she had quite a few bad

> experiences but it seems that this is the

> exception to the rule.

>

> Ladies, you will be pleased to hear I will be

> getting my boobs out in public! (Although, may

> draw the line at the fried chicken shop, respect.)

:)

Hurray!

My finest moment was when bad planning had left me on a tube at rush hour with a hungry baby. She was at the distractable age and pulled off suddenly, leaving me giving an eyeful to a row of embarrassed young commuting men. Not as bad as a friend, with a similar experience but a faster letdown, who sprayed everyone opposite with milk!

I agree with all. For me it was just getting confidence. Lots of good comments from people though and 99% positive. The only bad one was from 2 ladies sitting behind me in The Blue Mountain Cafe. They said I should be "sitting by the side of the Nile". The staff were brilliant though and told them that their comments were inappropriate.

Good luck and enjoy your baby!

I don't think I've ever had a negative comment either, and have been approached by people, often older ladies, telling me that it's wonderful to see. I remember being mortified when I first was out on a bus and my son needed feeding but at the end of the day he needed to be fed and anyone with a problem can move/look away.

H&M breast feeding vests are good particularly in cooler weather. I just wear them under a normal top so much cheaper than buying lots of BF tops but minimise flesh exposure. I'm not too worried about getting my boobs out but quite self-conscious about the belly!

I have never had any negative reactions in London but have felt less comfortable when on holiday in other parts of UK, no negative comments but some funny looks.

I had a few funny looks today. Nothing negative, just a room full of old geezers in the doctor's waiting room all trying to look relaxed about it without copping an eyeful of nipple. Felt quite sorry for them! Never had any negative comments though, and have fed in plenty of public places. Although never a fried chicken shop. Impressed!

I can remember the very first time I fed in public. I had a very fast let down and a fidgety baby, and while having lunch at a pub with friends (who had't had babies yet) I managed to spray my end of the table with milk when my son let go of the latch and fidgeted around!

I'm now 3 children in, and I wouldn't hesitate to breast feed anywhere I was when my baby was hungry. I've never had any negative comments in London and have had positive comments, even on the bus. Mostly, no one even notices because it's a pretty common sight around here. I've only ever had a negative remark in the US, but fortunately I was expecting things to be harder going than in London so I was prepared to ignore any comments and not be put off or upset by them.

I agree with the belly-band or vest under your top for practicality. H&M do great vests for breastfeeding without getting a chilly side/back/tummy. I find it harder to feed in specific breastfeeding tops than in a vest/t-shirt combo.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well and you enjoy your breastfeeding experience. Most cafes in ED, Herne Hill, Dulwich and the surrounds with have other Mums in there feeding too, which may help to build confidence.

Yup I've breastfed anywhere and everywhere. At the moment we have ridiculous amounts of tradesmen working in our house and I don't think twice about breastfeeding in front of them - it's all part of normalising something very... Normal!

I do feed in the sling a lot too, and was doing so in the Halifax on Rye Lane. A slightly intense looking older lady came up to me and I was a bit worried - but actually she was coming over to say 'thank you for just feeding your baby the way nature intended' - she told me how years back she'd be feeding in McDonalds and was told she should go to the toilet. She asked the staff member if there was a specific feeding area/chair to be told, no just the loo. She point blank refused to move. It was fantastic to have this lady's support and made me remember not to judge a book etc!

If anyone ever said anything to me I would throw the WHO/Human Rights book at them and relish the challenge, but I'm a bit like that. Also on my second child and heading towards 3 cumulative years of BF, I just whip my boob out over the top and find people are fine/avert their eyes.

Good thing I don't have a fast let down ... !

I have done a lot of expressing in the run up (she was in hospital for a while) and my husband used to forget I was expressing in the kitchen and invite people in for cups of tea ... I wasn't too impressed with that! :-)

I breastfed my daughter until she was 2 in public. I cant think of one single bad experience, people looked I'm sure but no-one ever said anything. I was 18, so felt like I stuck out somewhat. I breastfed on packed buses, trains rammed to bursting whilst sitting on the floor, very openly in front of a bunch of 17/18 year old boys, in the front row of church during a wedding ceremony, numerous restaurants, you name I couldn't give a damn my baby was hungry. Theres probably thousands of people out there that have seen me public feeding. Dare I say I have even been known to be actually walking/hiking and feeding at the same time, thats a skill every mum needs to learn, does get you some looks though!

The first time I ever did it I remember feeling so nervous and apprehensive, I really thought I'd get comments especially from younger people my own age but I never once did. I sat under the big tree by the courts in Dulwich park while my partner and his friends played football in the sun, loads of people walked past but no-one said anything, I slowly built up my confidence to GP surgery waiting room, and buses. Then all hell broke loose and we were feeding everywhere.

I hate these posts because they make me realise how much I miss it all desperately, and how proud I was of myself, I never thought I would be able to do it but you do a lot for your kids you never think you will, I've definitely learnt that. I was up at 5.30 this morning, with a 4 year old that knows I'm poorly myself!