Prendergast Ladywell Fields - primary provision

Scribble

Apologies, this isn't East Dulwich...but this forum seems to get a fair few visitors from over the boarders so hoping someone might be able to help...

According to the Lewisham primary schools admissions booklet there will be 60 new reception places at Prendergast Ladywell Fields (on Manwood Road in Crofton Park) in 2014. However, the internet is revealing nothing but some old proposal for an opening in 2013 which evidently didn't happen...

Does anyone know anything about what the provision will be like??? (Have emailed the school but no reply yet, am also going to try the LA...) It's currently a secondary school so would really like to know how it will all fit together...

• 2 weeks later...

Beecroft Garden, Dalmain and Stillness all get rave reviews, I think. I would be looking at those 3 if I was a Crofton Parker. I wouldn't be very tempted by a newly opening primary phase at an all-through school unless the secondary is (or is on track to become) shit hot, tbh. I have a slight worry that they may not really know what they are doing with young children because their expertise is all with getting pupils through GSCE and A levels. There have no proven track record with the very different animals that are 4 - 11 year olds. An additional disadvantage is that your child will probably end up in porta cabins for at least a year or two while the new school is built (though, to be fair, I see no reason why a porta cabin can't make a lovely reception schoolroom with a bit of imagination and hard work.) On the more positive side, even if the current secondary is not brilliant they may well be on the up as you say and they also may be bursting with great and innovative ideas for the primary. It will be nice for you and your child not to have to worry about secondary transfer. And there is always something exciting about a new school with your child being one of the pioneers. I would just check out their plans quite carefully and remember that they are pitting themselves against some very good local primaries.

I was quite tempted by the Haberdashers Free school, purely and solely because of the guaranteed entry to the high performing secondary, which is local to us. But, as per the above, I thought it was quite striking at the open evening that the executive head who led the presentation and dominated proceedings didn't necessarily know very much about the needs of primary aged children or their parents (hadn't heard of after-school club, for example!) However, I might well have swallowed down any reservations had we been offered a place because of the magical draw of the secondary. I have had experience of trying to get children into a good local secondary and it can be fraught with difficulties. I don't think I would even have looked at the Habs primary had I not had that experience or if it was attached to a less desirable secondary. I felt and feel very confident that there were 2 or 3 lovely primaries that know what they are doing even closer to home (one of which my daughter is now attending- yay!).

Hope this is not too waffly/irrelevant, Scribble. Good luck with choosing!

It is both relevant and irrelevant! - in that we really have no meaningful choice. If we're very lucky we might get Beecroft; if not, and if Prendergast is open by next Autumn, it is highly likely that that is where we'll end up (based on proximity and the last few years' distances). So really I just have to hope that the pros you suggest turn out more heavily than the cons!

I reckon Prendergast will be fine if it comes to it. Probably be a school that people fight to get into in years to come. The original Prendergast is incredibly well thought of. How far away are you from Beecroft? Remember that the results shown in the booklet are first offers. I.e. they don't show the distance of children who got in after what they call "the shakedown", the process whereby offers are accepted and rejected and places become available. There is quite a significant amount of movement from April - September so it may be that Beecroft's actual last distance is a good few metres higher than 735. Where did the kids who were too far from Beecroft get offered this year? Gordonbrock is another option. Or Holbeach. All good schools near you. Just getting into one of them that's the problem! I'd pick the nearest 6 and put them in order of preference. Most people get something they like in the end.